The Student Room Group

Are smart watches worth it?

Since starting work in a tech-savvy place, I've noticed a massive amount of Smart Watches floating around. I've always considered the hefty price-tag a bit off-putting for limited capabilities, but maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick...

Does anyone own a Smart Watch? If so, how useful do you find it? :holmes:
Original post by Nirgilis
Since starting work in a tech-savvy place, I've noticed a massive amount of Smart Watches floating around. I've always considered the hefty price-tag a bit off-putting for limited capabilities, but maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick...

:wavey:

I have an Apple Watch. It's helpful, helps me to track what I'm doing and discreetly check my notifications when I'm working. I'd say it's useful but too expensive. If you find yourself constantly checking things on your phone, you'll love it. It's an extension of your phone constantly on your wrist! Little tiny apps there too, I use Moovit which tells me when the next bus is etc etc, there's loads of things like that. When you're driving you don't have to fumble for your phone to text (wait for it) someone using Siri. Also the Apple Pay function with it is extremely useful.

Again, too expensive. But useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not worth it at all.

You'll find yourself FORCING yourself to find convenience in it, trying to break regular habits like checking your phone the normal way etc. Also they have **** battery lives, **** internals to the point of lag and very limited functionality (it's a glorified expensive notification checker without the premium build of normal watches). Also, it's a bad idea to buy into the first generation of ANY new technology.
Reply 3
I think the apple watch is worth it, purely so that I don't have to get out my phone constantly. I always over-check my phone because I "feel" like it vibrates, but with the Watch it is day and night, you can easily tell if anything goes on. Further to this, I walk a lot and can never feel the vibration on my phone as it jumps around in my pocket so I miss calls/texts constantly, I don't with the apple watch. The watch is basically a glorified mini exention to your phone, expensive for what it is but almost wholly worth it for me. I wouldn't buy one new though, as prices will drop once the second generation comes out (soon). The watch is a first gen product so it is not as refined as it will be (think iPhone 1 -> iPhone 4), so I am glad that despite being the first iteration, there will be leaps and bounds to go and I can see it becoming even more useful in the future.
Reply 4
I just sellotape my phone to my wrist...
So I've had my Apple Watch for a year next Sunday. :birthday:

I use it for five things:

A watch

Activity tracker

Notifications

Times for cooking dinner

Contactless payment

I chose not to install third-party apps as I won't use them and they slow down the device. I find that it's a nice device but is a bit of a pain sometimes, the software glitches and when you put do not disturb on your phone, it turns it on for your watch too so you don't get notifications. :facepalm:

I like having one, but I think that bigger things are on the way for wearable devices. I will probably buy the Apple Watch 2.
Original post by somemightsay888
Not worth it at all.

You'll find yourself FORCING yourself to find convenience in it, trying to break regular habits like checking your phone the normal way etc. Also they have **** battery lives, **** internals to the point of lag and very limited functionality (it's a glorified expensive notification checker without the premium build of normal watches). Also, it's a bad idea to buy into the first generation of ANY new technology.

I'd tend to agree with almost all of this, except the battery life comment. My watch usually lasts about 2 days :s-smilie:
Original post by iEthan
I'd tend to agree with almost all of this, except the battery life comment. My watch usually lasts about 2 days :s-smilie:

Apple watches are the exception to the rule but they're also a couple of hundred quid over the price of the Android equivalent. Only a retard would pay £100 for a bit of battery life. Smh, are people so lazy they cba to take their phone out of their pocket and look at a notification LED :s-smilie:
Original post by somemightsay888
Apple watches are the exception to the rule but they're also a couple of hundred quid over the price of the Android equivalent. Only a retard would pay £100 for a bit of battery life. Smh, are people so lazy they cba to take their phone out of their pocket and look at a notification LED :s-smilie:

I wouldn't pay it, luckily I didn't have to :proud:
Not worth it at all.
I think these could become popular in 5-10 years from now as technology improves and wages increase, but right now they aren't good value for money.
IMO definitely not worth it, any features they have tend to be on your phone anyway. Plus they look tacky, some of the higher end models of apple watch are £1Ks as well which is a joke considering alternative watches that you could get for that kind of price.
Original post by Nirgilis

no as i think they're awful things and i do know someone with one
and she utterly hates it (she only got it as it was a gift from her father but she is now getting a gold breitling callistino to replace it)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending