The Student Room Group

OMAM; criticise this paragraph please!

In act one Steinbeck presents George as almost tyrinical inhis treatment and injustice towards lennie through the use of tyrincal imageryand in his “imperious” treatment of lennie. When lennie asks him why they cannot go to the ranch for supper,hereplies without justifiable reason with “i got a reason...I like it here.” this lack of consideration for the feelingsand needs of the person who he is meant to be a guradian for raises questionsabout his intentions behind his “companion”[ship] with Lennie. Often times heis like a master over lennie, not explain or justifying punishing lennie suchas when lennie is upset as he doesn’t know “why i cant keep it [the mpuse]....ididn’t steal it.” Lennies mention of theft here implies that he perhaps hopesthat george’s refusal to allow him to keeo the mouse is based on the just andfair idea that he may have committed a crime by stealing” the mouse andtherefore wants to reassure George (whom he believes is the epitome of justiceand democracy) that he has not done so. However, Steinbeck presents thedictatorship like nature of George when he justifies his treatment of Lenniewith “i have a reason.” This image of George as “unjust” is further dramatizedby Steinbeck in George’s “imperious” staring at Lennie. The word imperious suggestarrogance and is synonymous with dictatorial suggesting to the reader that farfrom a fair and kind guardian of Lennie, George is a selfish and unjust “master”over Lennie. This initial introduction of George as such a “companion” forLennie raises the reader’s curiosity and scrutiny over their relationship aswell as the author’s intention for such an arrangement. Perhaps one may assumethat through this odd introduction of their companionship, the athourintentionally places the reader’s scrutiny on George’s dictatorship nature inorder to create the idea that George is the antagonist of the novella. Alternatively,one may assume the more likely view that George does indeed “have reason,” for his harsh treatment of Lennie ashe later says , “i aint doung it out of meaness Lennie.” his reading points toa view of George as a complex character whom the author intends to use to drivemany of his other themes. In this way, Steinbeck makes George the mostbelievable and realistic character.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending