Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OMAM; criticise this paragraph please!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

In act one Steinbeck presents George as almost tyrinical inhis treatment and injustice towards lennie through the use of tyrincal imageryand in his “imperious” treatment of lennie.When lennie asks him why they cannot go to the ranch for supper,hereplies without justifiable reason with “i got a reason...I like it here.”this lack of consideration for the feelingsand needs of the person who he is meant to be a guradian for raises questionsabout his intentions behind his “companion”[ship] with Lennie. Often times heis like a master over lennie, not explain or justifying punishing lennie suchas when lennie is upset as he doesn’t know “why i cant keep it [the mpuse]....ididn’t steal it.” Lennies mention of theft here implies that he perhaps hopesthat george’s refusal to allow him to keeo the mouse is based on the just andfair idea that he may have committed a crime by stealing” the mouse andtherefore wants to reassure George (whom he believes is the epitome of justiceand democracy) that he has not done so. However, Steinbeck presents thedictatorship like nature of George when he justifies his treatment of Lenniewith “i have a reason.” This image of George as “unjust” is further dramatizedby Steinbeck in George’s “imperious” staring at Lennie. The word imperious suggestarrogance and is synonymous with dictatorial suggesting to the reader that farfrom a fair and kind guardian of Lennie, George is a selfish and unjust “master”over Lennie. This initial introduction of George as such a “companion” forLennie raises the reader’s curiosity and scrutiny over their relationship aswell as the author’s intention for such an arrangement. Perhaps one may assumethat through this odd introduction of their companionship, the athourintentionally places the reader’s scrutiny on George’s dictatorship nature inorder to create the idea that George is the antagonist of the novella. Alternatively,one may assume the more likely view thatGeorge does indeed “have reason,” for his harsh treatment of Lennie ashe later says , “i aint doung it out of meaness Lennie.” his reading points toa view of George as a complex character whom the author intends to use to drivemany of his other themes. In this way, Steinbeck makes George the mostbelievable and realistic character.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2016
TSR Support Team
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.