The Student Room Group

AQA Science "Give one reason for..."

With my AQA GCSE exams, they have questions that say "give one reason for ...." I always seem to list two or three reasons just to be safe. Will the examiners only look at the first answer I provide? What happens if they 2nd or 3rd answer is the correct one? Which will they mark?
Original post by sophieroper
With my AQA GCSE exams, they have questions that say "give one reason for ...." I always seem to list two or three reasons just to be safe. Will the examiners only look at the first answer I provide? What happens if they 2nd or 3rd answer is the correct one? Which will they mark?

I would advise against this. If the question specifically asks for one answer, you should give one answer. If you list more than one then examiners will typically mark your answer as wrong even if you did include a correct answer. Since you're there to answer the questions, you should prove that you've read the question and understand what they're asking for by only listing the amount of points that they ask for.

I know on OCR papers, if it is a "give one reason..." question, they accept the first reason you give. Not sure about AQA though. Interesting question though because I sometimes put multiple answers down for these types of questions.

AQA don't allow you the mark if you contradict yourself; they claim if an incorrect reason follows one that is right, it negates the answer.

Quick Reply

Latest