The Student Room Group

TSR, what first car would you go for?

Question in title

Be realistic; I know you guys want a fast car but take into account insurance and the cost of the car itself!

Me personally, I would go for a Polo or Golf (depends entirely on my insurance dropping).

To all you guys who already own cars, which car did you end up getting first? :ninja:

Scroll to see replies

I want to say a Fiesta, but apparently (:erm:) insurance companies have higher premiums for them due to the idiots that drive dangerously in them? :dontknow:

So I'd probably say the Golf too… something small and manageable really :erm: my instructor has a Peugeot and again, I wouldn't mind driving that either :yes:
Reply 2
Fiesta, definitely.
11 Plate £4000
Insurance £2000-2500
Nice drive, nice sound system and looks cool.
Perfect first car.

However, my brother did go for a BMW 525 and his insurance was 4500 so I guess it won't be too high. (he is 20)
I'm getting a Mini :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by iEthan
I want to say a Fiesta

:five:

My first car (except mine was a "Y" plate).

Probably not a runner any more... :frown:
Reply 5
Ford Fiesta

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
:five:

My first car (except mine was a "Y" plate).

Probably not a runner any more... :frown:

:console: what do you drive now?
Reply 7
Maybe we could be more helpful if you gave us a budget for the car and insurance separately.
Original post by Reue
Ford Fiesta

I got to admire your Fiesta in flesh (srs)
I learned to drive in a Suzuki Swift I think it was - I loved that thing. :smile: It was totally forgiving and easy to drive. Driving other cars was a nasty shock when they throw a hissy fit because you changed gears too soon :lol: Or my Dad's diesel car that just wants to go!! go!! go!! go!! go!! all the time :afraid: I would have got a Suzuki but in the end had to take the bangonomics approach. :yy:
Reply 10
Original post by iEthan
:console: what do you drive now?

A sensible family car... but I did have this for a while too :smile: :

Spoiler

Me

VW polo
Toyota Aygo
Mazda 1
astra mk5
I'm planning on getting a Mini. Around £2k and insurance is £1.8k annually...for first time (17 year old) :smile:. Plusn
they're sexy :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by James A
Question in title

Be realistic; I know you guys want a fast car but take into account insurance and the cost of the car itself!

Me personally, I would go for a Polo or Golf (depends entirely on my insurance dropping).

To all you guys who already own cars, which car did you end up getting first? :ninja:

This is when I start feeling smug because I have a disability :tongue:

Because I'm on motability I managed to get a Ford Focus Titanium brand new (just before Christmas)
Reply 15
Original post by James A
I got to admire your Fiesta in flesh (srs)

Lucky chap
Mini - Mine is cabriolet and was 1650 for insurance. I would've been equally happy with a golf or polo but tbh I love my mini. I'd be totally made up with a classic mini
I have a mini cooper, was a bit overpriced but its a great first car
(edited 7 years ago)
I kinda just want an automatic, I hate driving a manual (do intend to pass with a manual though) :lol:

Since my budget is going to be constrained, I'd probably go for a Peugeot 206 or something. (Then save up to buy a nice car myself in the future).
Mine was a ford KA, insurance was around £1500 with a black box and car was only £300 lol. I don't see the point in getting a really expensive car for your first because you're definitely gonna get a few bumps and scratches on it. I definitely did with my KA and then with my car after that, which was a Ford Fiesta.

I now have a 1.5 T-Sport Toyota Yaris and that has been my favourite of the bunch but that's because it's faster and nippier. I've been driving for 3 years now though, so I wouldn't suggest a 1.5 as your first car as the insurance will be too high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending