The Student Room Group

GCSE to A-level - how should I prepare?

My GCSEs are starting soon and as a way to procrastinate revising for those I'm worrying about A-Levels.

Obviously as the summer holiday's going to be longer, I thought I'd might as well spend the last couple of weeks getting prepared for the A-Levels.

Does anyone have any tips or methods to prepare for them?

I have chosen English lit & lang, chemistry, sociology and business studies. (However I think I'm going to change this completely as I feel it's not a great combination and I'd prefer to get at least two faciliating subjects - shame it's hard due to all the subjects I want to do clash at my school).

(Also I'm aiming to become a primary school teacher or an English teacher in secondary school).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Please help ^-^
Original post by howford.exe
Bump
Please help ^-^

Honestly, I'd take the Summer off if I was you, if you do want to prepare have a look at the specificafion for the subjects, but you won't really understand it without being taught it, but if you want to see what you're going to learn might be quite fun!
Original post by howford.exe
My GCSEs are starting soon and as a way to procrastinate revising for those I'm worrying about A-Levels.

Obviously as the summer holiday's going to be longer, I thought I'd might as well spend the last couple of weeks getting prepared for the A-Levels.

Does anyone have any tips or methods to prepare for them?

I have chosen English lit & lang, chemistry, sociology and business studies. (However I think I'm going to change this completely as I feel it's not a great combination and I'd prefer to get at least two faciliating subjects - shame it's hard due to all the subjects I want to do clash at my school).

(Also I'm aiming to become a primary school teacher or an English teacher in secondary school).

The best way to prepare for your A levels is to have the best summer ever and not even think about them. Seriously.
Not relevant to your question but you are taking 2 facilitating subjects - English Lit and Chemistry.
As long as you know what you want to do at university and your subjects enable you to get there, you shouldn't worry about the list of facilitating subjects. :h:
Concentrate in class, do homework and quickly recap what you learnt daily.

That alone will get you an A/A* IMO.

Also, don't do what I did: picking subjects that were impressive that I did not enjoy. Pick things you actually like and find easy or done before.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheRealLifeBane
Concentrate in class, do homework and quickly recap what you learnt daily.

That alone will get you an A/A* IMO.

Also, don't do what I did: picking subjects that were impressive that I did not enjoy. Pick things you actually like and find easy or done before.

this ^^
i picked two subjects that i thought universities would like and i honestly thought i could manage it - however that's not the case. seriously, pick subjects you enjoy otherwise you'll end up hating the whole year and all of your subjects (yes, i also despise history and philosophy now- the 2/4 subjects i actually had a passion for)
Reply 7
Original post by surina16
Not relevant to your question but you are taking 2 facilitating subjects - English Lit and Chemistry.
As long as you know what you want to do at university and your subjects enable you to get there, you shouldn't worry about the list of facilitating subjects. :h:

Really? My school had told me lit&lang didn't count as a faciliating subject. That puts my mind at peace for finding something else then! Thanks ^-^

(Also thank you to all of the other replies & advice! I think I'll just stick to revising for the September subject entrance exams instead of getting a head start too).
Original post by patronusleviosa
this ^^
i picked two subjects that i thought universities would like and i honestly thought i could manage it - however that's not the case. seriously, pick subjects you enjoy otherwise you'll end up hating the whole year and all of your subjects (yes, i also despise history and philosophy now- the 2/4 subjects i actually had a passion for)

I feel your pain bro. I really do :frown: but oh well. Learn to like by doing good I guess.

Staying on topic though, in the first few months I noticed a lot of first year students tend to bunk frequently for whatever purpose or cause but don't miss out lessons if you can. More often than not, teachers are teaching lessons in a particular order for a reason. So if you miss out lesson or, even worse, a day, early on, unless you catch up fast, you will build a skyscraper of content on top of a poor foundation. < That does not end well

Quick Reply

Latest