Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend is anorexic - HELP!!!

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

She was discharged from hospital a month ago but has told me that she is restricting and losing weight. She told me not to tell anyone but I don't want her to get sick again. I feel as though I should tell her parents but she would never talk to me again. Also, she is 18 so it's not as though her parents could force her back into treatment.

*Anonymous because I don't want my friend to find out I asked this*

Its a really difficult situation you find yourself in. Would you be able to share with your friend your concerns? Maybe write it down in a letter so you can really express how you feel?

Obviously, it is a possibility that if you told her parents then she wouldnt want to talk to you. BUT this is the worst case scenario and it might not play out this way. When I was 16 I was very ill with anorexia and my friends went behind my back and told my parents. Initially I was very annoyed - I felt my trust had been betrayed but really that was the anorexia speaking. And after I had time to calm down and reflect, I could see it from my friend's point of view and understood their action. Our friendship wasn't damaged, if anything it really made me appreciate how much they cared.

I can't speak on behalf of your friend though - everyone is different. But i've also been in your position and I too spoke to the parents. It's a really horrible position to be in. I'd try and talk to you friend first and be as honest as you can. This at least gives her the chance to sort things out or to be prepared for you to talk to her parents.

I wish you all the best and I really do hope that your friend makes a recovery.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.