Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

How to get the best grade in French oral exam? AQA

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

So I have my French unit 4 oral exam on Monday, and I would like any advice possible to maximise my mark. I had a mock yesterday, in which I scored 37/50 - 1 mark off a B. I had a similar situation at AS wherein I just couldn't quite reach a B grade but I don't know how to fix it.

Here is a breakdown of my marks:
    Part 1: Stimulus card 3/5; Responses to challenges 7/10
    Part 2: Fluency 5/5; Interaction: 9/10; Pronunciation and Intonation 3/5
    Overall: Grammar 10/15

I can see where my issues lie, mainly in grammar and pronunciation, but I'm not sure how to resolve this. My teacher says he may have been a touch harsh, so I may have gotten a B if it were the real thing but I want to be confident in my ability to achieve a B in this section.

I am generally good with pronunciation and grammar but in the exam room this just falls apart. I get so caught up in what I am saying that I don't notice when I pronounce my final consonants, or forget to use the subjunctive. Do you have any advice for how I can deal with this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am also doing the French exam but mine is on Tuesday! What I would recommend is taking a pause before each question (maybe use a filler word such as beh). Also tapping your leg to keep a good rhythm is also good as it makes sure you don't speak to fast and therefore your pronunciation is clearer. Maybe you could write out past essays on your cultural topics would be useful, this also can give you some content ideas for part two with the grammar I find writing a list of all the tenses and structures you want to include is useful, also writing out key examples you want to use is helpful. For example, with the subjunctive I have 5 phrases I definitely know take the subjunctive and will use. Good luck with your oral exam
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.