The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mohit
what happens if you dont write your IGCSEs down????
i mean i want to write only 4 of them

how many did you do?
Are they different to GCSE's? as in the number that you can do? Cause if they are similar and you only put 4 down, your going to be at quite a disadvantage as most people do 9-10 GCSE's.
Reply 3

they are much harder...but they are "equivalent to GCSEs
however the board is CIE (Cambridge international exams)
I don't think it's wise to just put down only 4 - as someone has already said, most people do 9-10 GCSE's.
Saying that, I did IGCSE Art, but did GCSE for the rest of my subjects, and I put down all my grades.
Also, universities sometimes have requirements like: needs to get at least a C at GCSE maths - what happens if you didn't put that down? - so yes, you would be at a disadvantage by not putting it down.
Reply 5
i got a D in math but a C in english
For certain courses they expect you have to gottena certain grade for both those subjects if they were not taken to A level. Have you checked what the university requirements are for your course?
Reply 7
You should make sure you write at least enough to satisfy your course. I tried to ignore my D at GCSE Technology, but my careers person picked up on it lol. As I had another 9 A*-B and 1 C I wasn't too bothered.
Reply 8
mohit
i got a D in math but a C in english

yeh seriously A LOT of unis will require you to have a C minimum in Maths regardless of the course.
Reply 9
Im Tryin 2 Apply 4 Law At An Average Uni Like Queen Mary Or Kent, What Shud I Do, Because I Hve Really Bad Grades In Gcse?
have you looked for the standard requirement for Law? I am sure there must be one for English. Let me ask my friend (she does Law).
But, what did you get for your A levels then (AS).
Reply 11
ermmm...mine are finishing tomoro...AS im doin btw
my AS predictions were AABB
however my likely A2 predictions should be AABB
wat do u think
some average uni in london....but not below average?????
Reply 12
Hmm, since you're likely to do so well at A level then I think most universities won't look too hard at your GCSEs so don't worry. However, GCSE maths is seriously letting you down, that might stop you getting in somewhere but apart from that I don't think the universities will care about your GCSEs. You should put them all down.

Do you have any 'special circumstances' that stopped you doing well at GCSE? I must say, it is strange that your GCSE and A level grades differ so much. If you do have a good reason for not doing well then get whoever writes your UCAS reference to mention it.
Reply 13
is being a "rebellious child" a good excuse...lol
give me some excuses.....i badly wanted to get all A's and go 2 LSE for law
Reply 14
and what do u mean by "special circumstances"...?
Reply 15
and btw can any1 tell me if i could do GCSE maths...and if i will get reults before
december this year or before jan 10th
Reply 16
Mohit -

1) There is more than enough information on this forum for you to get the answers to these questions. You are obliged under UCAS regulations to mention all grades that have been certified.

2) I know for a fact that CIE IGCSE's are tougher than GCSE's and Universities, especially the London ones and Oxbridge, are aware of this. So, I would mention all of them.

3) There's a slight problem if your Universities ask you for your certficate. Many are now starting to do so, and Oxbridge and Durham will do so before matriculation. The Universities in the UK reserve to ask for examination certificates if the need arises.

4) It's not worth the risk. If you do get caught, your application will most probably be withdrawn.
Reply 17
mohit
and what do u mean by "special circumstances"...?

Just like, if someone in your family died during your GCSE year or if you had to care for a relative or if you have a relative with challenging behaviour such as autism (that's what my special circumstance is).

As for retaking GCSE maths, that's a great idea! I'm not sure when you would get your results if you took it in the first term of year 13 but it doesn't matter if you don't have the result before you apply to university. What you can do is put 'pending' next to GCSE maths and the universities will probably make you a conditional offer of say 'AAB at A level AND a C in GCSE maths'
Reply 18
what other subjects should i retake???
Reply 19
bEEt

1) There is more than enough information on this forum for you to get the answers to these questions. You are obliged under UCAS regulations to mention all grades that have been certified.

2) I know for a fact that CIE IGCSE's are tougher than GCSE's and Universities, especially the London ones and Oxbridge, are aware of this. So, I would mention all of them.

3) There's a slight problem if your Universities ask you for your certficate. Many are now starting to do so, and Oxbridge and Durham will do so before matriculation. The Universities in the UK reserve to ask for examination certificates if the need arises.

4) It's not worth the risk. If you do get caught, your application will most probably be withdrawn.

:ditto:

mohit
what other subjects should i retake???

English and maths are the only ones that you really need. Don't bother retaking others, there's no point and you would be much better off putting the effort into doing well in your A-levels. Also, be aware that some unis want 'B's for English and maths, although most that I've seen only want 'C's.

Latest

Trending

Trending