The Student Room Group

2nd RAF AST aptitude test: do they take the best scores from each test???

hi, i have got my second attempt at an RAF AST aptitude test coming soon. The thing is, i've passed all of the required criteria of the first AST barring the spacial awareness section (i was just 1 point off passing it) and i was just wondering: -hypothetically- i fail all the sections of the AST but pass the spacial awareness section, would they allow me to proceed in the role i've applied for as i have passed all the other sections previously? In summary, i am asking if anybody knows if they add both of your best scores for the AST together. (Sorry for the bad analogy BTW)
Yes, this is correct. if you are one of the required on spatial then I would recommend plenty of revision for that area, if you've already achived the required for the others, then they will be continued over to your second AST result, (unless you score a higher score) Basically, it will be the best scores from AST 1 and AST 2 put together. I applied for Electrician not so long back and was 2 off on the spatial reasoning, this wasn't a specific requirement but becasue my spatial was so low it brought the overall score down to 57 (58 required :frown: ) what are you applying for?
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the info, it really helped... i've applied to be an Aerospace Systems Operator. Did you do a second AST and achieve the required score? Just wondering as thats really unfortunate for you: being just 1 point off the overall score required. Or did you choose a different trade to join. Thanks again for the help with the second AST!
Yes, unfortunately the 57 mark was both of my scores put together, they sent off a waiver to the headquarters to see if they would accept it but as electrician is quite a popular trade they declined it. So I have to wait six months to re take the AST. Anyway, all the best with your upcoming AST, I hope you get the career you're looking for. Good luck!
do they mix the scores from both papers
Reply 5
Original post by jellybear23333
do they mix the scores from both papers

Just focus on passing. Deal with whatever comes next when they tell you.
Original post by Drewski
Just focus on passing. Deal with whatever comes next when they tell you.

It is just I am sitting my second AST very soon and I was wondering if I passed NR this time but did not get a high enough overall score would I still be able to pass it then

Do they take the best of both the tests or not?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Do they take the best of both the tests or not?

With the best will in the world, does it matter?

If I told you they did are you going to work out how to exactly pass the one thing you need and ignore the rest, or are you just going to try to max it anyway?

If you're halfway sensible, you'll be thinking the latter, so what difference does it make knowing whether or not they might take scores from different places?
Original post by Drewski
With the best will in the world, does it matter?

If I told you they did are you going to work out how to exactly pass the one thing you need and ignore the rest, or are you just going to try to max it anyway?

If you're halfway sensible, you'll be thinking the latter, so what difference does it make knowing whether or not they might take scores from different places?

I see 100% where you are coming from, i have revised all the topics not just the one I failed- it would just reduce some of the stress thats all
Reply 9
I see 100% where you are coming from, i have revised all the topics not just the one I failed- it would just reduce some of the stress thats all

There is a saying that begins with "you're only as good as your last..."

Insert anything from;
Landing
Fire plan
Fitness test
AST

Quick Reply

Latest