The Student Room Group

New Mayor of London shows most people don't support the racist agenda

A big majority of Londoners voted for a Muslim Mayor of London. Far, far more than just the Muslims living in London.

It's no wonder that we are seeing a rash of xenophobic and racist-oriented UKIP-style threads on TSR this morning, as the far right go into shock that a clear majority of people don't share their views, won't react to their dog whistle politics and believe that a tolerant, multiracial London is not just possible but a current reality.

Will the right wing headbangers please take a lesson from this and stop trying to fill TSR with hate messages every morning? Pretty please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You choose the mayor because of their skills, not their religion, race, colour or whatnot. Obviously he had a great campaign and it worked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
time will tell
I honestly don't care too much that he's a Muslim. I care more that he's a politician who managed to win the mayoral election.

I think that people need to see past religion and just see people for who they are, not for what they're labelled as.
But... but... muh white genocide!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Will the right wing headbangers please take a lesson from this and stop trying to fill TSR with hate messages every morning? Pretty please?

I doubt it; every mistake he makes, small or large, will be gone over again and again in great detail. :rolleyes:
Original post by *Stefan*
You choose the mayor because of their skills, not their religion, race, colour or whatnot. Obviously he had a great campaign and it worked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. My point is that this isn't how this kind of thing is seen by the racists.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
I doubt it; every mistake he makes, small or large, will be gone over again and again in great detail. :rolleyes:

Not least by the Mail, the Evening Standard and the Sun, who will be constantly running headlines about "Muslim Mayor Khan fails", etc.

The Evening Standard comes out of this particularly badly - it has run a whole series of dog whistle race and terror stories. Ironic that it is owned by a corrupt buddy of Putin's that the government is happy to see running London's only newspaper providing he keeps spewing out the hate.
(edited 7 years ago)
'But we can't have a Mayor of London called 'Sadiq Khan'! He doesn't even sound English!'
Original post by chemting
But... but... muh white genocide!

A bit like the reaction when a Christian Chinese man became the mayor of Jakarta in Indonesia :tongue: I think these sort of reactions happen the world over.

Original post by Fractite
I honestly don't care too much that he's a Muslim.

As long as religion and politics are kept separate, then it shouldn't matter. But when the two mix, I do believe it to be a problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not least by the Mail and the Sun, who will be constantly running headlines about "Muslim Mayor Khan fails", etc.

Nor really. No need to pain "Muslims" as the victims all the time, when they're not. Tantamount to black people, whom are sensitive to any form of resistance that they'll shout "racist", racist lol.
Original post by The Epicurean
A bit like the reaction when a Christian Chinese man became the mayor of Jakarta in Indonesia :tongue: I think these sort of reactions happen the world over.

Multiculturalism is Javanese genocide!
Reply 12
That's right , most people aren't racist. They do, however, have an issue with barbaric, medieval cults that have no place in a 21st century, Western democracy. You know, the type that wants to execute homosexuals, treats women worse than bovines and so on.... How can ''lefties'' not be on board that?
Original post by Serine Soul
'But we can't have a Mayor of London called 'Sadiq Khan'! He doesn't even sound English!'

It's all so reminiscent of this. In German too!

1.) For the millionth time, Islam is not a race
2.) People voted for him because they liked his policies, not because he's a Muslim. I couldn't give a flying **** whether or not he's Muslim, just like I don't care if David Cameron is Christian. The only thing I care about is whether he will be a good mayor and freeze the already ridiculously high transport fares in London.
Original post by TheTechN1304
1.) For the millionth time, Islam is not a race
2.) People voted for him because they liked his policies, not because he's a Muslim. I couldn't give a flying **** whether or not he's Muslim, just like I don't care if David Cameron is Christian. The only thing I care about is whether he will be a good mayor and freeze the already ridiculously high transport fares in London.

Of course it's not a race. Sadly that doesn't stop the racists from assuming it is.
Original post by The Epicurean

As long as religion and politics are kept separate, then it shouldn't matter. But when the two mix, I do believe it to be a problem.

Considering he has been demoted to the rank of Munafiq and the status of "selling out his deen" with his vote on gay-marriage and his comments about the hijab... I don't think that will be a problem :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't care about whether he's a Muslim or not... but my main concern is that he supports Liverpool: and that's unacceptable as the Mayor of London :frown:
Original post by chemting
Considering he has been demoted to the rank of Munafiq and the status of "selling out his deen" with his vote on gay-marriage and his comments about hijab... I don't think that's too much of a problem :tongue:

I've already seen that remark surface on TSR recently :tongue: My only hope is that he doesn't try to appease such individuals, no matter how much pressure they might put on him.
Of course it's not a race. Sadly that doesn't stop the racists from assuming it is.

If anything i've seen a degree of racist thought from the left who are all pleased that he's a Muslim. People voting who are are not racist should not consider him being a Muslim either a good or bad thing, race and religion should not be a factor.

I would not have voted for him myself but that's because i liked Zac but i certainly don't consider London electing a Muslim to be a good thing.

I certainly think Zac screwed himself though. While i don't think he ran a racist campaign i find it weird that somebody who is essentially classically liberal and in ideology the embodiment of what we need to be to attract new and younger voters chose to run such a dull and cold campaign.

Quick Reply

Latest