The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd presume the interviews and application process would be to determine precisely this? Obviously doubt is not a great thing to have, but I do wonder what percentage of people who make the decision to commit themselves to the army enter believing they have absolutely all of the skills and qualities required.

Like any other career, experience is learned on the job, practice a bit of humility (which you appear good at) and work hard and you should get along fine.
Original post by govtandpolitics
I'm interested in the army but I don't know if I'm good enough? :/

I've been in the army as an officer because in my country there is an obligatory 2 year service. And if u want my opinion only stupid people would choose going to army rather than university.. unless u like killing others for the benefit of the rich in your country.
Original post by yiannaros95
I've been in the army as an officer because in my country there is an obligatory 2 year service. And if u want my opinion only stupid people would choose going to army rather than university.. unless u like killing others for the benefit of the rich in your country.

Despite the fact that you might have to kill people do you not think that the army is good for other things like helping you develop new skills, challenging yourself and proving what you can do?

Which country? I wouldn't want to discourage you from accepting the views of someone clearly far more experienced than me, but the fact it was obligatory and not a choice might also say something about this (although I presume you were offered civilian service as well?)
Despite the fact that you might have to kill people do you not think that the army is good for other things like helping you develop new skills, challenging yourself and proving what you can do?

Seriously? Would u kill some people for some new skills? :tongue:?
Seriously? Would u kill some people for some new skills? :tongue:?

No, of course it is obvious that with joining the army comes the fact that you may have to kill which no one wants to do but should that stop you from joining the army which also has its benefits?

If he wants to join the army he's going to know that he may have to kill but it depends on the roll he's doing ( pretty sure dentists don't kill)
Reply 8

Joining a professional volunteer Army is massively different to being conscripted into some rag tag bunch of misfits and malcontents. If you don't know the subject; don't comment.
Why do you think you might not be good enough? Nobody is good enough from day one that is why the armed forces look for potential, why they have one of the longest training periods of any military in the world. You will get world class training in the army to make you good enough.
Original post by Kevlar123
Why do you think you might not be good enough? Nobody is good enough from day one that is why the armed forces look for potential, why they have one of the longest training periods of any military in the world. You will get world class training in the army to make you good enough.

I don't know, I just think that it would be really hard and whatever I would do to prepare wouldn't be enough. Yes, I guess that's true...

What even as a REME Soldier or RE? surely a 17 year old lad earning 18k a year on an engineering apprenticeship is better than wasting thousands at uni, which isn't guaranteed to provide a future. have a word.
I don't know, I just think that it would be really hard and whatever I would do to prepare wouldn't be enough. Yes, I guess that's true...

I had similar feelings when I was considering a career in the military. I knew a lot of current military personnel and always found myself thinking "I couldn't do that". In hindsight it wasn't a valid comparison - these were guys who'd been through a considerable amount of training and practice to get to that stage. Anyway in the end I went for it and found that I could do it, although ultimately a medical issue ended my career before it really began.

Obviously there a lot of other things you need to consider before applying to join, but if it's just whether you're capable enough or not there's one way to find out. I think it's a quote from Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can or can't, you're right".
Original post by CurlyBen
I had similar feelings when I was considering a career in the military. I knew a lot of current military personnel and always found myself thinking "I couldn't do that". In hindsight it wasn't a valid comparison - these were guys who'd been through a considerable amount of training and practice to get to that stage. Anyway in the end I went for it and found that I could do it, although ultimately a medical issue ended my career before it really began.

Obviously there a lot of other things you need to consider before applying to join, but if it's just whether you're capable enough or not there's one way to find out. I think it's a quote from Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can or can't, you're right".

Before you joined, were you already really physically fit? How did you find the army?
I'm interested in the army but I don't know if I'm good enough? :/

It's understandable that you have doubts, and better than assuming that you'll make the cut because you have, say, big biceps or an aggressive attitude.

What you need to do is research what's required, and know that the requirements vary depending on the regiment. (I went for the Parachute Regiment, but it was the wrong one for me.) Choice of regiment is key.

I'm out of touch with the current physical requirements; I recall that you had to do a BFT basic fitness test consisting of a 3 mile run in at least 24 minutes.

Are there any open days or other events you can attend and get to meet real soldiers?

Do you respond well to discipline and following orders? It can be a shock to some who have been brought up more softly and perhaps with an attitude that the world owes them many things. I struggled with the lack of time to myself and the physical demands sometimes, but I was OK because I was able to laugh at myself and pitch in with others.

Go for it if your heart is in it and you have a realistic chance of success.
Original post by Davide_online
It's understandable that you have doubts, and better than assuming that you'll make the cut because you have, say, big biceps or an aggressive attitude.

What you need to do is research what's required, and know that the requirements vary depending on the regiment. (I went for the Parachute Regiment, but it was the wrong one for me.) Choice of regiment is key.

I'm out of touch with the current physical requirements; I recall that you had to do a BFT basic fitness test consisting of a 3 mile run in at least 24 minutes.

Are there any open days or other events you can attend and get to meet real soldiers?

Do you respond well to discipline and following orders? It can be a shock to some who have been brought up more softly and perhaps with an attitude that the world owes them many things. I struggled with the lack of time to myself and the physical demands sometimes, but I was OK because I was able to laugh at myself and pitch in with others.

Go for it if your heart is in it and you have a realistic chance of success.

So if I was to try and become physically fit before the basic training, I would have a better chance? I like to think that I can follow orders and discipline and I do manage to laugh at myself too. I'm going to do more research on it and that will hopefully give me the understanding to find out if I could do it.
Yep, basic physical fitness is key. You'll need a sensible plan to prepare for that. It's not just reaching a particular speed or level of stamina; it's also conditioning your body to cope in other ways. For example, though I was very fit it took ages for my feet to harden up to cope with long marches wearing boots and carrying kit. Some people develop shin splints during army training, because their bodies are just not used to the work, but the army have good support and they'll be looking to work with you to help to make the grade.
My training was 2 years long. As long as you have determination, you will do well. Obviously, the better you are at the start, the less you have to complete but 2 years of phys (just about) everyday will whip anyone into shape.

SS
Original post by Supersaps
My training was 2 years long. As long as you have determination, you will do well. Obviously, the better you are at the start, the less you have to complete but 2 years of phys (just about) everyday will whip anyone into shape.

SS

What was the training like?
Pretty awful. But you learn a lot of new things.

One thing I would definitely say if you're going soldier entry is to wait for the right trade in the right corps. Don't rush yourself and the recruiter will put pressure on you to fill his pinchpoint trades.

Find a trade you like with a set of skills you like and then be prepared to wait for upto a year for it.

There's normally a reason the trades that are available need more people...because they're crap and no one wants to do it!

For officer selection trade is irrelevant, just get in some fam visits with the regiments/corps you enjoy and try and get sponsored to Sandhurst but it doesn't mean all that much, it's all about your performance at the board and through SH.

Best of luck,

SS

Latest