The Student Room Group
Reply 1
its called completing the square. you have to halve the 8 (in 8x) and put (x+4)^2 and then you have to square that 4=16 and you have to always take this number away from the thing so make it a minus 16 and then minus 5(from the original quadratic) so -16-5 =-21 so the whole thing would read (x+4)^2-21 so a=4 and b=-21
Use use half of complete the square method, to the left into the one on the right.
Reply 3
ok cool i know how to complete the square, but what has that got to do with the right hand side of the equation because you are left with,

(x+4)^2-21 = (x + a)2 + b

dont you need to make the equation equal zero before you can work out a and b?
HaNzY
its called completing the square. you have to halve the 8 (in 8x) and put (x+4)^2 and then you have to square that 4=16 and you have to always take this number away from the thing so make it a minus 16 and then minus 5(from the original quadratic) so -16-5 =-21 so the whole thing would read (x+4)^2-21 so a=4 and b=-21

Perfectly explained...:wink:
Reply 5
no no no, the three little lines in between the two equations means "can also be written as" they are the same equation so what i just told you was the answer
Reply 6
thankyou very much :smile: i do try
Reply 7
Actually the three lines mean 'is equal for ALL values of x'.

But you are right, it wants you to put the left hand side in the same form as the right hand side and hence find a and b. And completing the square is the way to do it in this case.
Reply 8
oh well whatever, it explained that you need to write it in that form lolz :smile:
Reply 9
lol ok, thank you :smile:

Latest