Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

25 and deciding to teach myself A Level Biology need advice..

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi there!

I recently finally decided that I want to become a Veterinary Nurse so I looked up how to become one.

I decided to go the academic route and looked at the entry requirements into Uni, I need A Level biology B or above.

As I work full time and at first I was looking for a night course or part time and the only courses were full time. So I tried the idea of becoming a full time student and working evenings, but as I inquired with all the local colleges they all wouldn't except me on the course for my age.

So I started looking around online for distance learning and they are all VERY pricey and even the monthly payments seemed abit far fetched especially as I had to pay for my examinations too!

I decided in the end to teach myself, I have many A Level text books and I'll hire a tutor if I start to struggle.

My main worries are the exams and the practicals. How do I arrange them?

It's a bit of a hassle but once it's sorted it's sorted. You need to speak with independent learning centres or just email a bunch of colleges. I think the exam boards themselves will be happy to help send them an email too.

Well done for making this decision, though I must say there are access courses as well as foundation university years. A levels are 2 years but the foundation year is just a single year.

hi there i believe the practical can but taken as written senario so they ask you on paper how to set this and that up for a practical. others iv seen give you an option where you dont have to take an option for practical but you a level would graded as non practical taken but grade B for example. they seem to set their own rules on that one. they usually tell you how to book them !

you normally take written exam in a college that they approve
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.