The Student Room Group

Good idea or no? (revising chemistry A level)

I have AS exams coming up so have been giving more revision time to those. Im nowhere near comfortable on my A2 chemistry papers. I think if I did a past paper I would get a U straight up. Should I just do 4-5 past papers a day WITH THE MARK SCHEME so I get the jist of what they want and revise topics. Then I could try the papers alone without anything?

Bad idea? Exam for A2 is in 1 month and a half.
Reply 1
anyone? :/
Reply 2
Original post by aladdin818
I have AS exams coming up so have been giving more revision time to those. Im nowhere near comfortable on my A2 chemistry papers. I think if I did a past paper I would get a U straight up. Should I just do 4-5 past papers a day WITH THE MARK SCHEME so I get the jist of what they want and revise topics. Then I could try the papers alone without anything?

Bad idea? Exam for A2 is in 1 month and a half.

For chem A2? Hell no omg get through all the organic reactions at least cause you're gonna have to memorise them for organic synthesis!! And just do basic inorganic reactions at least. Maths problems in the exam are usually easy to follow but still. Definitely go through the organic routes
Original post by rxns_00
For chem A2? Hell no omg get through all the organic reactions at least cause you're gonna have to memorise them for organic synthesis!! And just do basic inorganic reactions at least. Maths problems in the exam are usually easy to follow but still. Definitely go through the organic routes

Agreed. ^ Chemistry topics are quite conceptual (e.g. organic) that you'll have a hard time getting a "jist" of anything lol. Even the mathematical stuff such as buffers requires understanding.

My advice:

1) Get a revision guide.
2) Go through a topic, learn everything on the pages of that revision guide (Not hard seeing as CGP condenses the material into like 2-3 pages for most topics as opposed to 7-15 pages in the large textbook).
3) That will give you a working foundation. After you learn each topic do some practise questions on them (you can find questions grouped by topics on A-levelchemistry.co.uk).
4) Finally, move onto past papers. That's it.
Reply 4
Original post by High Stakes
Agreed. ^ Chemistry topics are quite conceptual (e.g. organic) that you'll have a hard time getting a "jist" of anything lol. Even the mathematical stuff such as buffers requires understanding.

My advice:

1) Get a revision guide.
2) Go through a topic, learn everything on the pages of that revision guide (Not hard seeing as CGP condenses the material into like 2-3 pages for most topics as opposed to 7-15 pages in the large textbook).
3) That will give you a working foundation. After you learn each topic do some practise questions on them (you can find questions grouped by topics on A-levelchemistry.co.uk).
4) Finally, move onto past papers. That's it.

The thing is I have revised all the material before maybe 2 months ago but my focus was shifted to AS resits and chem5 so I have forgotten majority of it. Ill have to probably revise it again:/ thanks tho!

Quick Reply

Latest