The Student Room Group

MMath to become an Accountant?

I'm studying GCSE's and ready to start A Levels. I'm primarily wanting to study Maths or Accountancy at University and wanting to become an Accountant. I love studying Maths and I'm going to carry on at A Level. I feel that studying Accountancy at University will restrict my career paths however could be more direct for a final career. However, I'm aware that some universities cover Financial Mathematics in their MMAth course and I'm wondering if that will be as beneficial as studying Accountancy as a course. After my degree, I could then progress to other careers other than Accountancy or go into Accountancy training to become an Accountant. Which would be more beneficial?
Original post by 11LOrmston
I'm studying GCSE's and ready to start A Levels. I'm primarily wanting to study Maths or Accountancy at University and wanting to become an Accountant. I love studying Maths and I'm going to carry on at A Level. I feel that studying Accountancy at University will restrict my career paths however could be more direct for a final career. However, I'm aware that some universities cover Financial Mathematics in their MMAth course and I'm wondering if that will be as beneficial as studying Accountancy as a course. After my degree, I could then progress to other careers other than Accountancy or go into Accountancy training to become an Accountant. Which would be more beneficial?

You've answered your own question aha.

Accountancy as a degree comes with some exemptions to exams you'll have to take whilst in a training scheme, that's pretty much the advantage. Though, you don't really need a maths degree or an accountancy degree for most finance/accounting careers, so whichever one you choose won't make a difference to your grad job 'options'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you can do pretty much any sensible degree at uni and still be an accountant. my father did law and geography and he is a partner in a global firm of accountants :smile:
Look into higher apprenticeships too!

Quick Reply

Latest