The Student Room Group

Boyfriend broke up with me but still loves me.

My boyfriend of 18 months broke up with me today. Until the last month or so, we'd had a good relationship. However, in the last six weeks I sensed him becoming distant but I just thought he was busy with his job.

However, today he came over to mine and I confronted him to find out what was going on with him. It got emotional very quickly and he told me I was breaking his heart as he loved me to pieces and I'd been a great girlfriend, but he couldn't explain why he was being distant and said he needed some space. The reason he said he wanted space so was he could figure out what he wanted and so if we were to continue in a relationship he could start treating me how I should be treated.

I told him I wasn't happy to wait around a few weeks prolonging the pain for him to decided he didn't want to be with me. It ended with us breaking up but he told me he still wants to be a part of my life and he seemed really shocked/upset when I told him that I think it best we cut contact for a while so we can clear our heads.

I love him a lot and he told me that I'm one of the best things that ever happened to him and that he'll always love me, but he's not treating me right and I deserve better. It was a horrible afternoon and we both cried a lot and I've never see him before.

Is it common to break up with someone even though you still love them? Does it sound like there is a possibility of reconcillation? Even though we've officially broken up, it still doesn't feel ''finished''. I just want some advice because I feel so low :frown:
I've been in a very similar situation before, OP. My boyfriend broke up with me even though we still loved each other. I decided not to contact him because I knew it would only hurt more. A week after our breakup he contacted me to say that he realised the break up was a mistake. We've been together for over a year since then.

It does sound like there's a chance of you getting back together, especially when you both love each other. I'd say leave him alone for a while, and he might well come to the conclusion that he still wants to be with you. In the mean time, don't *wait* for him to come back. Keep yourself busy to take your mind off it. I know this must be such a difficult time for you. Sending you all the virtual hugs!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've been in a very similar situation before, OP. My boyfriend broke up with me even though we still loved each other. I decided not to contact him because I knew it would only hurt more. A week after our breakup he contacted me to say that he realised the break up was a mistake. We've been together for over a year since then.

It does sound like there's a chance of you getting back together, especially when you both love each other. I'd say leave him alone for a while, and he might well come to the conclusion that he still wants to be with you. In the mean time, don't *wait* for him to come back. Keep yourself busy to take your mind off it. I know this must be such a difficult time for you. Sending you all the virtual hugs!

Thank you. I just feel so lost. Breaking up when you still love the person and the other person loves you is heartbreaking. I feel devestated :frown:
My girlfriend of about a year and a half broke up with me little while ago and it was sort of similar to what you described...

Although we haven't got back together and the emotional burden was quite big initially, I made the effort to reconnect with old friends and get out more than I would have done when we were going out and that definitely helped!

Make the most of your new spare time - find the most energetic/fun friends that you have and hang out with them and it will take your mind off it and make you realise that plenty of other people care about you apart from your ex!
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, he's going away to teach English as a foreign language in Spain and said he thought it would be for the best to end it now than to just wait for him to go and fall out of contact, better to break it off now than in a few months when we are even more deeply infatuated. He says he still loves and cares about me. We went to Paris together about two weeks beforehand and it was wonderful. I have nothing bad to say about him, not a single bad memory. I love him more than anything in the world, he is my best friend, we still hang out but it's wierd trying to see someone as a friend when you know them intimately. I didn't eat for the first week and I am struggling to sleep. It's really hard to think of the possibility of him being with someone else, it destroys me. And if he did get with someone else I'd feel as though his reason for ending it with me was invalid. Is that reasonable? He's at a party tonight and I'm at home and it's all I can think about, I just want to know he's OK. I don't want him to get hurt. But I also want him to miss me. Any tips on getting him back?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending