The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Hello Everyone. Actually it is the very last day for me to make any changes to my GCSE options on the upcoming Monday and I am very confused between two subjects. These two are Textiles and Geography. In my school it is compulsory to RE, Science, English & Maths as I think the case is in every other school. I have chosen History, French and Textiles with this but, now, I think that I should've chosen Geography instead of Textiles because I enjoy it as well as do well in it . However, I also enjoy Textiles and it's the only creative subject I actually do well in. Therefore, I would like some advice from everyone about the benefits of these two subjects and which would be best for me if I want to take a career in Science. I've heard from friends and others that there should be varied options for GCSEs so I can have open choices in the future but, I'm still in confusion. Also, I would like some info about Business Studies- is it a beneficial option in varied careers or does it just give some general knowledge about business and finance. Thanks a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
If you want a career in one of the sciences then it seems Geography would be the smarter choice, especially if your preferred science is biology or physics. Geography is highly valued by universities, might I add. I have to say though, from my experience, enjoying Geography in year 9 isn't always a good incentive for taking it in year 10. I used to love the subject but now I can't stand it (I'm in year 11).

I can't comment on Business Studies, though from what friends who have taken it have said it sounds like an easy GCSE to get. The same friends also emphasize the fact that there is a lot of course work involved in Textiles, so if you take it then be prepared to spend some time finishing work after school to meet those deadlines. Would Textiles really help you in the future? Then again, it's nice to have a less desk-based subject in your studies.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of other replies, so just read through them and think it through. Try not to stress!
Reply 2
Original post by IAK_01
Hello Everyone. Actually it is the very last day for me to make any changes to my GCSE options on the upcoming Monday and I am very confused between two subjects. These two are Textiles and Geography. In my school it is compulsory to RE, Science, English & Maths as I think the case is in every other school. I have chosen History, French and Textiles with this but, now, I think that I should've chosen Geography instead of Textiles because I enjoy it as well as do well in it . However, I also enjoy Textiles and it's the only creative subject I actually do well in. Therefore, I would like some advice from everyone about the benefits of these two subjects and which would be best for me if I want to take a career in Science. I've heard from friends and others that there should be varied options for GCSEs so I can have open choices in the future but, I'm still in confusion. Also, I would like some info about Business Studies- is it a beneficial option in varied careers or does it just give some general knowledge about business and finance. Thanks a lot.

do whichever you will enjoy most and score highest in. and which teacher is good! having a gcse in geog isnt going to have much of a bearing on your science career. in fact, even unis dont really care about your 3rd option (mine was music, which was a bit of respite from writing still got into oxbridge). since you have history and french (incidentally, they were my choices too) then i wouldnt worry if u enjoy textiles and want to take it. A Level choices matter far more!

Quick Reply

Latest