The Student Room Group

Will taking a GCSE early affect A-Levels?

If you take a GCSE early that you're definitely wishing to take at A-Level, would you also start your A-Level early? For example, if I did my Mathematics GCSE in Year 10, would I start my Mathematics A-Level in Year 11? If not, do you guys think it's worth taking a GCSE you're wishing to do at A-Level early (if you know you're going to do well)?
Original post by Harrykel
If you take a GCSE early that you're definitely wishing to take at A-Level, would you also start your A-Level early? For example, if I did my Mathematics GCSE in Year 10, would I start my Mathematics A-Level in Year 11? If not, do you guys think it's worth taking a GCSE you're wishing to do at A-Level early (if you know you're going to do well)?

Most people who take their Maths GCSE early do a AQA Further Maths level two GCSE thing or OCR Additional Maths FSMQ (I'm doing this) in year eleven, although I do know someone who's taking Maths A Level this year then Further Maths over the next two years
He's been told not to because universities don't like it but idk how true that is
Reply 2
Original post by Harrykel

Im doing my Mathematics GCSE this year (Year 10- so scared:frown:), and I had a choice between Further maths GCSE or starting A level. I said I would start core 1 in year 11, because firstly I know universities don't generally look for further maths let alone a GCSE, and the jump between GCSE and A level won't be as big because I have already done some of the stuff in Year 11. :smile:
But if you're good at the subject you can take the A level early ut it isn't compulsory
I did my English Lit & Language in year 10. Over the next year I read all possible books for the A-level courses for Lit and learned most of the stuff for Language.

Uni's don't care, to be honest, because they don't actually know; on my CV it looks no different than any of my other GCSE grades. They're all in a list and there's no information supplied about when I did them.

It's good because it gives you a head start. The jump is, as you said, huge and high schools do not prep you enough for the difference in content and pace.

Saying that though, doing A-level stuff for a year in a class full of people doing GCSE English messed with my head a bit because if I got asked a question I would mix the books that I was doing and that their syllabus was, up. If you've got a good teacher who will support you equally to the class then it's good. It's a lot of work, especially extra curricular but it's worth it at A-level because you will already know the stuff.

Good luck in your maths exam, kiddo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest