The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR History

I find understanding cartoons really hard in the exam, has anyone got any advice on how to approach them?
Sorry for the late reply. I dont understand what you mean by cartoons. can you tell me what exam board and link me an example?

Is it a piece of evidence, maybe showing certaing leaders or historical figures. I just think its a case of reading what they want and then identifying the visual clues as to their significance to people at the time and building on that. A cartoonisy may include prarticualr things or traits and you cna write about it. Cant really explain more unless i saw an example.
[QUOTE=999tigger;64797697]Sorry for the late reply. I dont understand what you mean by cartoons. can you tell me what exam board and link me an example?

Is it a piece of evidence, maybe showing certaing leaders or historical figures. I just think its a case of reading what they want and then identifying the visual clues as to their significance to people at the time and building on that. A cartoonisy may include prarticualr things or traits and you cna write about it. Cant really explain more unless i saw an example.
I assume they mean picture sources. The exam board is in the title, OCR.

@Lucywalker We're always told to split the source into 3/4 even sections and make sure we make a point about each. Plus, you can use the caption to help you. Make sure you also add your own contextual knowledge as well as the source details for every paragraph and write 3/4 paragraphs depending on how many marks the question is worth
Thanks it doesnt always show on my screen unless I scroll up.

OP they do appear to be pretty straightforward. I suggest you practice them and get a feel for the areas they cover in the past papers.
If I would start with the title and then go on to describe what was in the picture. the characters, the scenario, any text ,the significance and overall message, You might also want to comment on whether you think the cartoon was effecive and the viewpoint of the cartoonist..
I would then spend the second half putting it into context by talking about the wider meaning of whats happened before, what was happening at the time and what might happen soon after. Look especially at the interaction of the characters.

Imo you should be able to get 5 easily and you just beed to be in tune to get the other 2 marks. I looked at 5 papers and they all seem straightforward imo, certainly soemthing to practice and a question you can score well on.

Ok the way to do these question and others have been included in this link. More organised than me. Its definitely possible to get a reasonable mark just from common sense and knowing what to describe. He goes through each type of cartoon.
https://schoolhistory.co.uk/studentforum/index.php?showtopic=7159
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest