The Student Room Group

UK British mosques ban women from Facebook, traveling alone or wearing trousers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EUTyranny

Hijra means something very different in Hindi and Urdu :teehee:
@nucdev
(edited 7 years ago)
Many individuals have different views on this subject. Some Muslims feel it is very important to cover yourself as it shows mosesty. Others feel the way you dress shouldnt reflect on the way you are. Some individuals feel facebook is very dangerous and filled with evil, whereas others see it as a usefull tool to connect with the world. At the end of the day what the mosque has asked for or reinforced has reflected on their veiws. This issue has many people talking, howeverit all comes down to ghe individuals veiws on certain topics. I overall believe modesty is important when attending a mosque, as it shows respect towards the religion, however it is not right in my oppinion to interfer with others social lives.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Am I the only one who is suspicious of the fact this is reported by RT,a Russian Govt owned news station that is known for continously spouting negative stuff about the West,while only saying positive stuff about Russia and its friends i.e. Assad ?

Yes, largely because it was reported by the Times and covered by RT.
I don't want these people to integrate. They should keep their customs, and practice them freely.. in their idnignous peoples land.

They call it multiculturalism but actually they only one culture and many ethnic and racial groups in one border. This is why it is called a MELTING POT. In other words in the future...

There will be no White British people, there will be no White Swedes, there will be no White French people and so on..

But of course Pakistan will still be full of Pakistani's, Nigeria will be full of Nigerian people..
Original post by ImmunetoShaming
They are, as far as they are concerned, under Sharia Law (a body of legal codes which has thousands of interpretations, but much of it is utterly barbaric). See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Arbitration_Tribunal

40% of the British Muslim population wants to implement Sharia Law as the final point of authority in British society. http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/jan/29/thinktanks.religion (these attitudes are far more prevalent amongst younger generations).

It's not that this is happening which concerns me, it's the oppression creep which concerns me - these things never operate in isolation, nor do they ever stop until more and more rights are eroded for the purposes of facilitating someone's inclusion.

In the 60s we had the civil rights movement, which is universally deemed correct. Then in the 80's we had the anti-racism movement which stipulated it's no longer enough to 'not be racist', you had a positive duty to patrol racism. Now, in the 00's, we have 'white privilege', a belief every white person is racist by default. It's oppression creep.

'Sharia law' in the UK is merely arbitration in family and civil matters, any mode of arbitration in the UK is lawful if both parties consent (within reason). We could have a minister from the church of the flying spaghetti monster make civil decisions for us if we both transfer authority to him to decide.

They don't have any criminal or public jurisdiction to rule even in the most extreme areas with the most adherents. It is dressed up quite a bit as a scare tactic.

Not that i agree with it, many muslims are secular in all but name, i know many muslims who pray and do the muslim stuff because its more of a family thing and outside they are anything but. Education and free media is the cure to islamic radicalisation, this decision shows desperation from the radical mosques more than progressing their ideology.
Original post by Serine Soul
Let's be honest, these mullahs and imams are just scared of women

They're scared that women will find that power in them to leave them and not mindlessly serve them and follow their orders.

Pretty much. It's a bit like the Protestant vs Catholic thing, you've got a bunch of unelected bishops putting forward oppressive and restrictive practices, eventually people get tired of being controlled by morons, and someone founds a saner interpretation of Islam.

Fortunately that's already happening in some other places. Not here apparently.
Original post by EUTyranny
Mosques across the UK have ordered Muslim women to stop wearing trousers, leaving the house without permission from their husbands, or using Facebook in new controversial rules published by various Muslim organizations and associations.

he documents caused anger among anti-extremism campaigners and moderate Muslims who called the rules “outdated”and “totally wrong” interpretations of Islam, according to a report from The Times.

The Green Lane Masjid in Birmingham banned women from wearing trousers - even in front of their husbands as they show “details of her body”, while Blackburn’s Central Mosque said women should delete their Facebook accounts to protect them against “evil.”

The mosque cited a quote from the Koran about the “sin” of alcohol to justify its stance against the “vicious network” of Facebook.

“Facebook has opened the doors for it reads.sin. Muslim girls and women alike have become prey to this evil,” it reads.

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/uk/342116-british-mosques-ban-women-/

No but no. How will I get to college, no one can take me. Nor can i not wear trousers, I only own trousers. I think it is time to reassess my life :s-smilie: :tongue:
It's like holding a contest on banning things... There's so many ridiculous things banned.

Just stop letting ******s ban things :lol:
Original post by OreoAndMilk
Many individuals have different views on this subject. Some Muslims feel it is very important to cover yourself as it shows mosesty. Others feel the way you dress shouldnt reflect on the way you are. Some individuals feel facebook is very dangerous and filled with evil, whereas others see it as a usefull tool to connect with the world. At the end of the day what the mosque has asked for or reinforced has reflected on their veiws. This issue has many people talking, howeverit all comes down to ghe individuals veiws on certain topics. I overall believe modesty is important when attending a mosque, as it shows respect towards the religion, however it is not right in my oppinion to interfer with others social lives.

Excellent. You know what these things should be? Choices.
Original post by Zargabaath
Hijra means something very different in Hindi and Urdu :teehee:
@nucdev

And the thread is now derailed :lol:

Spoiler

Reply 30
Original post by ivybridge
I don't understand why this is being allowed, surely this is a breach of so many British laws about discrimination, oppression, human rights?

Islam has a free pass.
Original post by Eternalflames
And the thread is now derailed :lol:

Spoiler

looool every one we post on :lol:
Original post by Zargabaath
looool every one we post on :lol:

Yeah, we just need to wait for nucdev, then it's gets fully derailed into desi stuff :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by rEaR vIeW
Well done for showing yourself to be as idiotic and close-minded as the people who made the stupid comments in the first place.
Despite considering myself to be pretty clever and open-minded, you'll have to explain that one to me. I don't get it.
I don't understand though? We're not run under Sharia Law. We are run under British Law. As such, how the **** are they not accountable?

Muslims are supposedly run under Sharia Law, because they're Muslims before British.
Shut them down.
Reply 36
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Shut them down.

If only life was that simple and white people in the West didn't have unbelievable amounts of self-hate, misplaced guilt and tolerance of the absolutely intolerant.
Original post by TelAviv
but that would be fascist/racist/islamophobic/xenophobic/nasty/mean

we live in a tolerant society where there is no room for those who discriminate and try to force their values on others

In a truly tolerant society those mosques would not be tolerated. I'm amazed that simple truth escapes you.
I don't understand though? We're not run under Sharia Law. We are run under British Law. As such, how the **** are they not accountable?

60% of U.S. muslims think homosexuality should be punishable by death. A comparable % feel a greater allegiance to Islam than the U.S. Gov. There's no reason to assume that some of those polled are not long term residents. A slightly different interpretation of this Scripture by this imam ot that one regarding a mans right to punish his wife becomes meaningless. They read the same koran but their imam tells them what they believe.
Original post by oldercon1953
60% of U.S. muslims think homosexuality should be punishable by death. A comparable % feel a greater allegiance to Islam than the U.S. Gov. There's no reason to assume that some of those polled are not long term residents. A slightly different interpretation of this Scripture by this imam ot that one regarding a mans right to punish his wife becomes meaningless. They read the same koran but their imam tells them what they believe.

Why is homosexuality relevant? Are you just using it because you think it'll strike a chord with me? Lololololol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending