Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LDR problems.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am in a LDR currently. we have been together for quite a few months now (seeing each other since september, "official" in feb) and when we are together (usually for about 4-5 days a month) it is great. I genuinely love this guy and cant see myself without him. However, when we are apart which is unfortunently 90 percent of the time, we have arguments constantly, usually down to communication (or lack of.) We are both different people in the communication aspect of the relationship. I have become quite dependent on him due to him being there for me through some very low points in my life and being my only "friend" for a while, (I live in halls at uni and my first year has been pretty tough, didnt make any course friends, my flatmates left me out often and didnt understand my mental state at the point and i was incredibly lonely). He has his own issues but he is surrounded by family, he works a job that takes up his whole life and he just isnt one for constant communication despite that being the only way to keep in touch while being long distance). Recently the lack of communication has put a massive strain on our relationship and I feel he doesnt understand why im so "clingy" (the reasons that ive mentioned before plus really struggling with the distance). I dont know what to do to stop the arguing and the awful periods of not talking because were angry at each other so does anyone have any pointers on how to stop being so dependent on him?

Ive been in a similar situation, however mine ended in completely cutting off one and other To avoid it, I'd say discuss it more with him before it escalates too far and you argue too much. But if that doesnt work, maybe try relying in someone else? He's your boyfriend but the distance and time means he can't be there for you always, so its probably best to confide in a close friend. You mentioned you had a rough first year, did it get better? If you have a friend you trust, open up more to them and maybe split the reliance so its not all on his shoulders.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.