The Student Room Group

WJEC B Geography, anyone?

Is anyone doing WJEC Geography B?
I can't seem to find any good resources for revision aside from personal notes and stuff. I'm fairly confident with my case studies but all those 6 markers are never-ending. All I know is you have to describe, explain, elaborate and elaborate further and perhaps link them back to your own cases you've studied to make it more specific. Sometimes I run out of ideas and can't think further :/

Got exams in a few weeks, and I'm worrying about geography quite a lot (though my teacher has indicated that I've done well on the controlled assessment but isn't allowed to tell me - so I can't see how much I need to secure my target). Does anyone have any pointers or tips? Would be much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by bmgaic
I can't seem to find any good resources for revision aside from personal notes and stuff. I'm fairly confident with my case studies but all those 6 markers are never-ending. All I know is you have to describe, explain, elaborate and elaborate further and perhaps link them back to your own cases you've studied to make it more specific. Sometimes I run out of ideas and can't think further :/

Got exams in a few weeks, and I'm worrying about geography quite a lot (though my teacher has indicated that I've done well on the controlled assessment but isn't allowed to tell me - so I can't see how much I need to secure my target). Does anyone have any pointers or tips? Would be much appreciated. :smile:

Your teacher can't tell you? We were told months ago! But what you've said is exactly what you need to do for the 5/6 mark questions - give a point, explain it, elaborate on it and include case study facts. If you do that twice, you'll easily get the full 5/6 marks!

Honestly, if you go into the geography exam tomorrow with common sense, you should do well - just make sure to write as much as possible so the examiner has no reason not to award you full marks!
Reply 2
Original post by examcalladine
Your teacher can't tell you? We were told months ago! But what you've said is exactly what you need to do for the 5/6 mark questions - give a point, explain it, elaborate on it and include case study facts. If you do that twice, you'll easily get the full 5/6 marks!

Honestly, if you go into the geography exam tomorrow with common sense, you should do well - just make sure to write as much as possible so the examiner has no reason not to award you full marks!

Yeah, apparently it raises our hopes and offers false security because they could change (though I know it's unlikely to). And thanks for confirming! I know human geography does involve a lot of common sense, physical geography somewhat common sense but less so (more to do with the impacts of floods/etc I guess). I suppose what I'm really worrying about is running out of time :colondollar:.

Have you been told to do the case studies first? Also, what do you think will come up? Our teachers have predicted the remaining case studies that the exam board haven't yet done in the new spec, which is common sense in itself but WJEC might just be sneaky and try and use case studies already done in this specification. Chances are that at least one of the choices in the case studies are one of them.
Good Luck for tomorrow😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bmgaic
Yeah, apparently it raises our hopes and offers false security because they could change (though I know it's unlikely to). And thanks for confirming! I know human geography does involve a lot of common sense, physical geography somewhat common sense but less so (more to do with the impacts of floods/etc I guess). I suppose what I'm really worrying about is running out of time :colondollar:.

Have you been told to do the case studies first? Also, what do you think will come up? Our teachers have predicted the remaining case studies that the exam board haven't yet done in the new spec, which is common sense in itself but WJEC might just be sneaky and try and use case studies already done in this specification. Chances are that at least one of the choices in the case studies are one of them.

We haven't been told to do case studies first - but that wouldn't be a bad idea! Running out of the time is a concern I guess - I used to write way too much and then have not enough time for the case study. My teacher told me not to waffle and stop saying the same thing over and over again, so timing isn't such an issue for me anymore.

And I agree - I would imagine that they will put at least one case study that hasn't come up. My teacher recently went on paternity leave (great timing!) and we have had little support lately. What has your teacher predicted will come up as the case studies?

In terms of what will come up, I have a feeling the Theme 1 focus will be urbanisation and the Theme 2 focus will be weather and climate. But they're just guesses - I'm probably completely wrong!

Anyway, good luck for tomorrow! I'm surely you'll do great! I hope the exam's not too difficult!!
Original post by bmgaic

I am also sitting this exam tomorrow and I am absolutely dreading it. Those six markers are going to be the end of me. As for the case studies I think something to do with rivers has come up on the last four papers on theme two(might be wrong) so I would say that another one could come up, whether that's to do with river flooding, river landforms or river management. Best of luck all with the exam tomorrow :smile:
The exam is probably gonna be on urbanisation or housing for theme 1 since it was on access to service last year.

Feeling quite confident.

Good luck to everyone that's doing Geography WJEC B Unit 1 tomorrow.
Reply 7
would waterfall come up
What did everyone think of the exam today? I thought it was alright!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by examcalladine
What did everyone think of the exam today? I thought it was alright!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! I expected housing and coasts would come up as case studies, and I'm glad they did. I was expecting tourism/parks to come up too, but not ecosystems/weather again.

Also, there were some bits that were a bit odd like 'why do people do more leisure activities' but I thought I managed it alright...just said there's been an increase in leisure times, more car ownership so ability to travel, disposal income etc.

The cyclone question was a bit strange as well, but I mentioned heatwaves (mentioned an example just to sneak into the top bands) and rural roads being icy and stuff causing accidents and need for rescue services :s-smilie: - hopefully I did alright as I could see myself slowly running out of time. My handwriting became awful towards the end :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Where calculators allowed in this exam?
Reply 11
Meant were calculators allowed in the exam?
Any predictions for the theme 3 paper content? Aid hasn't come up in a while, nor has interdependence...

Quick Reply

Latest