The Student Room Group

Could you be in a relationship without sex?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Some people here are saying you can be intimate without sex. True, you can kiss, touch, share experiences, lots of other things, but unless you are asexual or your partner is repulsive, the idea that you can just have a casual snuggle with someone in bed and not want to have sex with them seems a bit off to me....

That awkward spooning boner.
Original post by DiddyDec
That awkward spooning boner.

:rofl:

Precisely, a healthy functioning guy is going to get aroused just by contact.

Original post by Biryani007
I'm not sure you'd want to even touch and kiss someone you find repulsive :/

Exactly, it's a complete contradiction, physical intimacy might not be synonymous with sex but it is a precondition to it, and very light contact with a guy who hasn't relieved himself in other ways is going to cause arousement. I'd presume it works the same with women based on how quickly things escalate instead of just going to sleep.
(edited 7 years ago)
Between asexuals and people with very low sex drives, yes.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Exactly, it's a complete contradiction, physical intimacy might not be synonymous with sex but it is a precondition to it, and very light contact with a guy who hasn't relieved himself in other ways is going to cause arousement. I'd presume it works the same with women based on how quickly things escalate instead of just going to sleep.

I personally don't think it's possible in the long run...sure, you can last a while without intimacy but those that can go long periods without have some amazing self-control...especially when you've got someone there willing.
Instead of putting myself through that, I'd rather stay away from it altogether :lol:
It's possible but i personally think it's pointless. I'd never do it and a lot of those that do are religious or are prudes
nah, it can't start out that way nor can it stay that way, that's a shame seriously
If we get old together and I lose the will after years and years of sex, then ok understandable
but while I have it I'm milking it till the cow's flaccid and dry
Original post by Hydeman
Between asexuals and people with very low sex drives, yes.

??? Obviously
But OP's on about the person answering
No idea why you're mentioning subculture minorities unless you're asexual yourself or have a low sex drive...
Original post by Blue_Mason
In terms of a serious relationship I believe that it cannot be possible.
I mean a relationship without sex is pointless.

I can't some can. I need sex in a relationship 3/4 times max a day

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are a lot of reasons for a sexless relationship and I think the sustainability of the relationship depends on those reasons and other circumstances. For instance, some people have health conditions and can't have sex. People might not enter into that relationship, but if it happens years into a close relationship, the healthy partner might stay even though there's no sex because of the love in the relationship. Some people are asexual. Sometimes it just fades. Younger couples might not be ready for sex yet. And of course, there are relationships where people have sex but not often because they experience other forms of intimacy. Also, how do you define sex? It's not for us to judge how these people carry on.
Original post by notsoclueless
Why is a relationship without sex pointless? o.O

Because sex is a very special and intimate thing, in which you would want to experience with your partner.
There's no way I could go through my entire life without sex, no.
No no no no no no no no.... I'm a sexual person. Not only is sex in a relationship important to me, but so is sexual compatibility.
I had a relationship fo almost a year in which sex was not a factor. We were both damaged I went to a dark place in my early 20's did a lot of bad things, she had been abused and made dependent on drugs and forced into serving his friends.We moved from talking to cuddling and eventually sharing a bed. Eventually our relationship ended when I helped her find a kind and caring man with interests like her, on the third date I introduced myself. We explained our relationship, he was a little perplexed but I gave him my number and took my leave. I haven't made contact with either since that night, I hear their engaged and hoping for a child soon. I am not sure If I'm ready to be intimate again, but I find an inner tranquility in cuddling with someone
One of my housemates is in a relationship with someone who is openly asexual, so yes it is possible.
I wouldn't do that, personally.
Original post by Straighthate
theres no such thing as a relationship without sex...
its called a friendship instead

where are your real world examples of couples who have never had sex?
i cant find any...

You REALLY can't find any? Here, let me make a list for you.

Couples who don't for religious reasons.
Couples who don't because they're too young.
Couples who don't because they're old and can't be arsed with sex anymore (this is definitely not all old people, though :P )
Couples who don't because they want to wait to get married first.
Couples who don't because they physically can't, due to disabilities.
Couples who don't because they live too far away from each other.
Couples who don't because they don't enjoy sex.
Couples who are asexual.
Couples who don't because they're too busy with other things.
Couples who don't because they're romantically attracted to each other but not sexually attracted to each other.
Couples who don't because <INSERT WHATEVER REASON THEY WANT TO HERE>.

And what about friends with benefits? Are they automatically a couple in your book? What if one person has more than one friend with benefits? Double couple? Even a TRIPLE COUPLE?

If I chopped your dick off, would you never be able to be in a couple and only be able to form friendships for the rest of your life? Wow..

Sorry if I blew your cute little black and white worldviews into pieces.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Bright Eyes
You really can't find any? You must be a really narrow minded person. Here, let me make a list for you.

Couples who don't for religious reasons.
Couples who don't because they're too young.
Couples who don't because they want to wait to get married first.
Couples who don't because they physically can't, due to disabilities.
Couples who don't because they live too far away from each other.
Couples who don't because they don't enjoy sex.
Couples who are asexual.
Couples who don't because they're too busy with other things.
Couples who don't because they're romantically attracted to each other but not sexually attracted to each other.
Couples who don't because <INSERT WHATEVER REASON THEY WANT TO HERE>.

And what about friends with benefits? Are they automatically a couple in your book? What if one person has more than one friend with benefits? Double couple? Even a TRIPLE COUPLE?

Sorry if I blew your cute little black and white worldviews into pieces.

:lol:

almost all ur examples are outliers, what an argument u have :rollseyes:
stop making a fallacy of composition u idiot, i never said sex automatically makes something a relationship, but its generally seen as something that occurs during a relationship

take any average couple off ur street and tell them they cannot have sex ever
again, i guarantee they lack a certain level of intimacy because of it, not to mention 95% of couples are together BECAUSE they are sexually attracted to eachother in the first place

get outta here u fool
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Straighthate
:lol:

almost all ur examples are outliers, what an argument u have :rollseyes:
stop making a fallacy of composition u idiot, i never said sex automatically makes something a relationship, but its generally seen as something that occurs during a relationship

take any average couple off ur street and tell them they cannot have sex ever
again, i guarantee they lack a certain level of intimacy because of it, not to mention 95% of couples are together BECAUSE they are sexually attracted to eachother in the first place

get outta here u fool

No, you said that you can't be a couple without sex, as that is a friendship, and asked people to give real world examples, which I did. It doesn't matter if they're "outliers". You said that you have to have sex to be called a couple, which is ******** and I called you out on it and proved you wrong.

It doesn't make a difference to your original point that dragging a couple off the street and telling them they can't have sex would supposedly make them lose intimacy. I'd even argue that it would strengthen the intimacy, as they'd have to find to find new ways to bond rather than bang genitals. There's more romantic things to do than sex. But this another argument entirely. Either change your original statement, or stop posting rubbish :smile:.
It's possible for some.

For me on the other hand, hell to the no:hump:
Original post by Blue_Mason
Because sex is a very special and intimate thing, in which you would want to experience with your partner.[/QUO

By saying that a relationship without sex is pointless, you are easily disregarding all those long term relationships people have without sex being a part of the equation. Like I've said many times, sex in a relationship is only a choice, not a necessity. A relationship is based on love, trust, understanding, enjoying the company of one's partner, etc. Sex is just an extra part.
If sex is what makes a relationship, all those people who believe in no strings attached are going to be quite disappointed because they're all indulging in relationships which is the opposite of what they want.
Don't strip relationships of their meaning by stating that those without sex are pointless.
No, not in a long term relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest