The Student Room Group

I'm crying right now with this stress

My situation:
I've made flashcards for basically everything I need to remember, however I've left learning/memorising these Q&A cards too late and I'm just so anxious that I'm not going to be able to memorise them in time! We don't get study leave, and my first exam is on the 16th! I'm very behind and I can't seem to memorise these cards quickly :frown:

I'm in tears because I'm too much "in my head" if you know what I mean. I just feel very overwhelmed and I had all this hope that I was going to get 8 As and 3 Bs but I have no hope any more, I just have TOO much to do. It just hasn't gone the way I planned. Am I behind? Or am I over reacting?

I know people at my school have literally done NOTHING but I just want to achieve my potential but I feel like I've ****ed up something that should be really easy - GCSEs.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by romansholiday
My situation:
I've made flashcards for basically everything I need to remember, however I've left learning/memorising these Q&A cards too late and I'm just so anxious that I'm not going to be able to memorise them in time! We don't get study leave, and my first exam is on the 16th! I'm very behind and I can't seem to memorise these cards quickly :frown:

I'm in tears because I'm too much "in my head" if you know what I mean. I just feel very overwhelmed and I had all this hope that I was going to get 8 As and 3 Bs but I have no hope any more, I just have TOO much to do. It just hasn't gone the way I planned. Am I behind? Or am I over reacting?

I know people at my school have literally done NOTHING but I just want to achieve my potential but I feel like I've ****ed up something that should be really easy - GCSEs.

First of all, breathe! :redface: Although it may not feel like it, you still do have quite a bit of time left to revise and get everything sorted.Since you have no study leave, would it be possible for you to take a few days off school in order to increase the time you have to go over the content?
My situation:

What's your first Exam? My one's also on the 16th and it's law
pull all nighters
Look at it this way, imo many students throughout the country are like those students at your school who have done very little - the people on TSR are a very small portion and they are study freaks (lets be honest guys lol), no point getting yourself so overwhelmed. Many people get 8As from just night before revision (I AM NOT PROMOTING THIS!!) but these exams are a bit.. over exaggerated! Chill out bud!
Reply 5
It's okay, just try and calm yourself down. Think how you have already done a lot of the preparation and you can just take some time now to make a revision plan where you are going to sit down and learn your notes. Once youve learnt them the first time, it will be easier each time. If you work hard and dtay focused without stressing, you will do well.
Have a good cry and try to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is a new day and there are only so many hours in it and in the days to come. Allocate that time to your revision sensibly and focus on doing your best. You can't control what grades you will get and the time for thinking about those is later this Summer, not now. One day at a time for you now, ok.
let me tell u something what my science teacher tells me
its never too late until u have done your exam
we still have time
u need to have faith in yourself
make a timetable
the more u panic the more u stress u wont remember anything
breath and trust yourself
u can do it
just try your best :smile:
Original post by luciie
First of all, breathe! :redface: Although it may not feel like it, you still do have quite a bit of time left to revise and get everything sorted.Since you have no study leave, would it be possible for you to take a few days off school in order to increase the time you have to go over the content?

Original post by JamDonuts4Life
Look at it this way, imo many students throughout the country are like those students at your school who have done very little - the people on TSR are a very small portion and they are study freaks (lets be honest guys lol), no point getting yourself so overwhelmed. Many people get 8As from just night before revision (I AM NOT PROMOTING THIS!!) but these exams are a bit.. over exaggerated! Chill out bud!

Original post by SLG1234
It's okay, just try and calm yourself down. Think how you have already done a lot of the preparation and you can just take some time now to make a revision plan where you are going to sit down and learn your notes. Once youve learnt them the first time, it will be easier each time. If you work hard and dtay focused without stressing, you will do well.

Original post by Davide_online
Have a good cry and try to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow is a new day and there are only so many hours in it and in the days to come. Allocate that time to your revision sensibly and focus on doing your best. You can't control what grades you will get and the time for thinking about those is later this Summer, not now. One day at a time for you now, ok.

Original post by Sabhani2000
let me tell u something what my science teacher tells me
its never too late until u have done your exam
we still have time
u need to have faith in yourself
make a timetable
the more u panic the more u stress u wont remember anything
breath and trust yourself
u can do it
just try your best :smile:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I just need to work my hardest this week! I also need to calm myself down, I know that once I start the exams I'll be fine. 7 days is a lot of time if I use it productively, and some of the exams I'm worried about I got an A* in the mock without revision (RE, which is the first exam) so I should be fine if I just breathe and stay calm/focused. Also, I need to stop thinking about the grade I want, and just do my best, because what more can I do? :smile:

I want to thank you all again, and I wish everyone the very best of luck for any upcoming exams.
Lol you'll be fine trust me, if you've made the notes you could learn like one subject a day no probs, i have an exam on tuesday for economics at uni and i've only just started learning my flash cards and know about half of them already!, trust me you've done enough just make sure you do those past papers though because GCSE exams can be rote learned.

Spoiler

Original post by blackstar101204
Lol you'll be fine trust me, if you've made the notes you could learn like one subject a day no probs, i have an exam on tuesday for economics at uni and i've only just started learning my flash cards and know about half of them already!, trust me you've done enough just make sure you do those past papers though because GCSE exams can be rote learned.

Spoiler

How do you learn your flashcards quickly?

Spoiler

How do you learn your flashcards quickly?

Spoiler

Thanks =). Essentially the trick to learning flash cards is to break them up into say 5 even batches for each subject ( I.e break up your religion flash cards in to 5 separate sections) Then what you do is you spend about 2 hours or something learning each small sect then move on to section 2 of your flash cards only this time when you have finished reading section 2 of your notes start from the beginning and read over them 3 times then start the next. Carry on doing this for for all the sections and the night before the exam try and do the same thing again (obvs with a short amount of time. Get about 4 hours of sleep if a 9 am exam and get up early and keep learning your notes until you get into the exam hall and don't let anyone distract you.
If you are doing maths GCSE the best way to learn this is to learn the actual exam papers sites like examsolutions.net and http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcse.htm have the written and explained answers to GCSE maths, using this style of revision i managed to get firsts in my uni maths subjects
My situation:

Take a deep breath, you will be fine. If you stress then the information won't go in. You have to take a calm and relaxed approach to your studying, it isn't all over don't worry! You will still achieve your goals! Don't try and learn all of the information at once, make sure that you give yourself adequate breaks - otherwise your brain won't be able to cope with all of the information overload! I would definitely recommend a meditation app called 'insight timer' it's a great way to anti-stress. Make sure you fully engage with your notes, it's all well and good reading the flashcards out load, but revision is all about constant repetition. Keep asking yourself the question on the flashcard over and over again, until you have got the correct and exact answer - without looking at the notes ofc :biggrin: Yes, it is boring - but it works! Also, use past papers to make sure that you have remembered and absorbed all of the information which you have revised! You still have time, take a slow and steady approach - then I promise you that you will remember it all! Remember, slow and steady wins the race!
Reply 14
My situation:

if you take a deep breathe and get on with it it will help. Think of the time you wasted, turning on your computer, logging on to here and typing this post.

Believe and Achieve
Reply 15
Stressing because you've not left enough time to learn flashcards? Lol I've not even started revision yet :tongue:.
Reply 16
Original post by blackstar101204
Thanks =). Essentially the trick to learning flash cards is to break them up into say 5 even batches for each subject ( I.e break up your religion flash cards in to 5 separate sections) Then what you do is you spend about 2 hours or something learning each small sect then move on to section 2 of your flash cards only this time when you have finished reading section 2 of your notes start from the beginning and read over them 3 times then start the next. Carry on doing this for for all the sections and the night before the exam try and do the same thing again (obvs with a short amount of time. Get about 4 hours of sleep if a 9 am exam and get up early and keep learning your notes until you get into the exam hall and don't let anyone distract you.

This is what i do when trying to memorize stuff
Reply 17
Crying won't help. Stop stressing and get it done.

Just take a deep breath, drink some water, get a cup of coffee and start your work.
Reply 18
If ur trying to memorize a bunch of keywords for example, read one keyword and definition then repeat it without looking at the definition then move on to the next one and repeat this for one section then get someone to test you or test yourself by just looking at the key word or just keep on repeating it until you remember it. You still have alot of time till ur exam so just calm down cos its RE first...im taking a day off tomorrow to revise since im gonna do more at home but if u cant stay at home just take ur flashcards to school and read over them whenever u are free.
You revise from flashcards ALONE? I've noticed when I cba to revise a subject or have like 50 flashcards in front of me I do it with friends! :smile: It's quicker, more stimulating, and I believe learning is much quicker!

Quick Reply

Latest