Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

York or Exeter?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

So Exeter finally came back to me a couple days ago with an offer, and since then I've just been going back and forth between these two universities. At the moment I'm favoring York, but I find myself coming back to Exeter because though they seem to be in the same league for Law, overall, the latter is supposed to be the better university. Though I'm not sure if that should even matter.

Since I won't be able to visit the universities, appreciate if you guys can help me out here on a couple of points.

1. Career prospects wise, am I right in thinking it doesn't matter which of these two I pick?
    2. Cost of living, which place is going to be easier on the wallet? When I looked at Unistats, it looked like it'd be York but I saw another article somewhere stating that Exeter was one of the cheapest universities to study at.
    3. Which city is more 'lively'? I'm not the clubbing, partying type, but I don't want to be in a quiet place either.
    4. Part-time work, where am I more likely to find it?

That's all I can think of from my end right now, but if you'd like to share your thoughts on other factors that I should be considering as well, please feel free to do so.

Yes, I think so. York and Exeter are in the same prestige category, so I don't think any law firm will prefer one over the other.

Check accommodation prices for both universities (found on their respective websites). If you think you might live in private accommodation in years 2 and 3 then check rent prices on spareroom.co.uk. Other living expenses will be the same in both cities.

No idea, never been to either - but I've heard that York has a very nice atmosphere.

No idea, check student union websites to see what kind of jobs are available on campus.

Personally i didn't like Exeter when i visited. The location got on my nerves more than anything. And the lecturers seemed bored out of their mind
    Although this was for engineering.

It's why i can't trust the complete uni guide anymore. It's around the top 10 but it's so unimpressive.

Although that all being said, i still put it as my insurance because they asked for lower grades than my other unis

I'm just wondering now if Exeter is the safer bet as York's Law programme is relatively younger. As a city and as far as expenses go, I'm favoring York. I was a bit surprised with the accommodation costs though, Exeter seems to actually be cheaper on this front.

Application for accommodation at York was opened today, and I was hoping to come to a decision. Anyone else have anything to add?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.