The Student Room Group

Good enough for Stanford/Ivies? + other queries

Hi I'm looking to apply to US colleges, my favourite being Stanford!

My GCSES: 10A*s 2As
Predicted AS levels: AAAA
Predicted A levels: 3 A*s

I am really involved in school life: deputy head girl, school council meetings, science club, hockey club, chamber choir, orchestra. I also volunteer at several places.

Would this make me a competitive applicant in terms of grades? I am a bit worried because gettting into US colleges is obviously extremely competitive and most international applicants applying to the top colleges seem to be getting straight A*s at GCSE.

I also have a few Qs (I'm really uninformed about the whole admissions process!):

1) As the A levels have changed, how will colleges accept students if they have not got AS Level grades? E.g. I'm only sitting 2 AS level exams as the other two are reformed A Levels.
2) How have people prepared for the SAT?
3) Which tests should I be taking? ACT/SAT? And are subject tests required for the Ivies?
4) Could anyone give me an idea of the admissions process timeline for an international applicant?
5) Is it worth applying even if I can't afford it without a scholarship/financial aid?
6) How have people managed to juggle applying to both UK unis and US colleges?

Any help/replies to any of the questions will be so so appreciated! I would love to be able to talk to any prospective applicants and current students from the UK at the Ivies/Stanford. Thank you so much!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slothgenius
Hi I'm looking to apply to US colleges, my favourite being Stanford!

My GCSES: 10A*s 2As
Predicted AS levels: AAAA
Predicted A levels: 3 A*s

I am really involved in school life: deputy head girl, school council meetings, science club, hockey club, chamber choir, orchestra. I also volunteer at several places.

Would this make me a competitive applicant in terms of grades? I am a bit worried because gettting into US colleges is obviously extremely competitive and most international applicants applying to the top colleges seem to be getting straight A*s at GCSE.

I also have a few Qs (I'm really uninformed about the whole admissions process!):

1) As the A levels have changed, how will colleges accept students if they have not got AS Level grades? E.g. I'm only sitting 2 AS level exams as the other two are reformed A Levels.
2) How have people prepared for the SAT?
3) Which tests should I be taking? ACT/SAT? And are subject tests required for the Ivies?
4) Could anyone give me an idea of the admissions process timeline for an international applicant?
5) Is it worth applying even if I can't afford it without a scholarship/financial aid?
6) How have people managed to juggle applying to both UK unis and US colleges?

Any help/replies to any of the questions will be so so appreciated! I would love to be able to talk to any prospective applicants and current students from the UK at the Ivies/Stanford. Thank you so much!

Sloth genius? Whats the story behind the name? Are you an effortless cleverclogs?
Reply 2
Original post by 6A7B5B8C3CFD567
Sloth genius? Whats the story behind the name? Are you an effortless cleverclogs?

Ahahah people say I remind them of a sloth and when I was making the account, I just kinda wrote the first thing that came into my head hahah :biggrin:
Reply 3
2 Buy an SAT study guide and do a bunch of practice tests
3 SAT and ACT are regarded equally, it all depends on which one you feel more comfortable doing. The ACT is more math based and the SAT has more logic, though the SAT is assuming a new format starting this Fall (iirc?). Personally I hear the ACT is easier, though I've only done the SAT so i can't compare.
5 It's worth applying I guess, though if you can't afford the tuition that's that. I know some of my classmates raised money to pay for fees, (my friend raised 30k to go to yale :l).
6 Applying to both UK unis and US colleges are aight, be prepared to write a ton of essays for the US, the UK application process is pretty straightforward though so I don't think it will be hard to do both if you're doing the US anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by GUMI
3 SAT and ACT are regarded equally, it all depends on which one you feel more comfortable doing. The ACT is more math based and the SAT has more logic, though the SAT is assuming a new format starting this Fall (iirc?). Personally I hear the ACT is easier, though I've only done the SAT so i can't compare.
5 It's worth applying I guess, though if you can't afford the tuition that's that. I know some of my classmates raised money to pay for fees, (my friend raised 30k to go to yale :l).
6 Applying to both UK unis and US colleges are aight, be prepared to write a ton of essays for the US, the UK application process is pretty straightforward though so I don't think it will be hard to do both if you're doing the US anyway.

Thank you :smile: are you at a US college at the moment?
Reply 5

also do you have to do ACT subject tests if you're not doing the SAT (do ACT subject tests exist lol) XD
Reply 6
also do you have to do ACT subject tests if you're not doing the SAT (do ACT subject tests exist lol) XD

For someone with 10 A*s didn't Google come to mind?

Plus if you can't fund it yourself I probably wouldn't suggest applying, from friends in America I know it's a lot of work, not only that but you'll be paying admission fees to simply apply to each college you choose. To which you could quite likely not receive any scholarship offers for.
Reply 7

No, I'm going to University in the UK this September, but I went to an american school so I know the process :biggrin:
There are no ACT subject tests. You need to take SAT subject tests for top schools, but they won't be that important unless they are bad, since you have A-levels. You have the qualifications, but you need to apply to a bunch of top US schools and hope one or two accepts you.

Very competitive, considering your softs.

They usually base it off of predicted scores.

4 - Usually you start looking at universities once your GCSEs have finished. During your first year of A Level study, you should have narrowed down your choices into dreams, reaches, and safeties. The summer before your second year starts, you should have started applying - filling out forms and writing essays. The deadline usually is October/November for Early Action/Decision schools, and early in the next calendar year for regular decision.

Original post by GUMI

IIRC, the new format just makes the essay writing option, and it is graded separately rather than included in the overall score.

Regarding mathplustutornj's comment about SAT IIs - since A Level grades come out much later, taking the SAT II exam provides immediate proof that you are competent in the subject (marks are provided within 6-8 weeks). However, it isn't a necessary exam for most people, primarily those in the Arts. For sciences, it can be handy if you perform well. If you do A Levels, the content should be easy to cover.
(edited 7 years ago)
No international applicant to Stanford is competitive, unless you're an IMO gold medalist.

You need to take the SAT and aim for 1500 or over.

Stanford's admission rate this year is 4.69%, less than Harvard

The admission rate for internationals is around.02 %

That's not a typo... The admission rate at Stanford for international applicants is well below 1%
Original post by CrimsonDucati
No international applicant to Stanford is competitive, unless you're an IMO gold medalist.

That's not a typo... The admission rate at Stanford for international applicants is well below 1%

Competitive doesn't mean you are guaranteed a spot. It means that they will at least consider the application.

Things vary year to year too. I applied to Stanford (similar softs as slothgenius) and got wait-listed. I have several friends who applied a year later with similar backgrounds and grades as me, and got in.

The admission rate for internationals is around .02%

Source? There's no way it's lower than MIT's which is 3.3%..

Regardless, you're only compared to students applying from your country not across the entire applicant pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stanford has an admission rate this year less than 5%..
MIT's is around 8%

MIT receives around 18,000 applicants a year; Stanford receives over 40,000

Stanford receives far more international applicants than MIT

Original post by Princepieman
Source? There's no way it's lower than MIT's which is 3.3%..

Regardless, you're only compared to students applying from your country not across the entire applicant pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stanford has an admission rate this year less than 5%..
MIT's is around 8%

MIT receives around 18,000 applicants a year; Stanford receives over 40,000

Stanford receives far more international applicants than MIT

You don't know the international acceptance rate then, as you seemed to have plucked a random number.. The international acceptance rate is usually half of the normal one. There are way more US applicants to these colleges than international.

It still doesn't matter anyway, you're grouped with applicants from your country. Case in point, Harvard gets ~500 UK applicants and admits 25-40. The competitive pools are usually India, China and the rest of SEA.

http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/what-are-we-looking-for/

Posted from TSR Mobile
not half the number... less than half, but fine...

let's say the admission rate for international students is around 1%... still extremely low, and lower than MIT

I do agree the applicant pool from the UK is weak compared to Asia. Affirmative action and equal semi equal distribution skew numbers

Well over half of Uk admits come from 3 schools... Eton, Westminster and St. Paul's..... Very self selecting admissions which artificially increases admit %

lets says 500 students from the UK apply, 30 get in, but 16 admits are from those 3 very elite schools.. Assume about 100 applicants from those 3 schools, which is likely very high

admission rate for everyone else is 14 out of 400 ...... 3.5%... though the admit rate is likely lower

Original post by Princepieman
You don't know the international acceptance rate then, as you seemed to have plucked a random number.. The international acceptance rate is usually half of the normal one. There are way more US applicants to these colleges than international.

It still doesn't matter anyway, you're grouped with applicants from your country. Case in point, Harvard gets ~500 UK applicants and admits 25-40. The competitive pools are usually India, China and the rest of SEA.

http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/what-are-we-looking-for/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Wait what??? Say Stanford accepted 100 international students. That would mean over 500,000 people applied.

When you work out the international admissions rate, that should be among the international applicants only.
not sure the exact number of international applicants... MIT is a bit more open on these details

was a typo... meant .2%

still might be higher; maybe .5% or so

Original post by Student403
Wait what??? Say Stanford accepted 100 international students. That would mean over 500,000 people applied.

When you work out the international admissions rate, that should be among the international applicants only.
not sure the exact number of international applicants... MIT is a bit more open on these details

was a typo... meant .2%

still might be higher; maybe .5% or so

Where did you get the stats for these?

More like 2100... Idek if you'll get looked at with 1500.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending