The Student Room Group

Essex vs Newcastle Politics and Economics

Greetings!

I was in a dilemma between the University of Essex (BA Economics and Politics) and Newcastle University (BA Politics and Economics).

The deadline came and I chose the University of Essex. However, I am afraid I might have gone wrong, even though I believe I would enjoy either.

I know that Essex is higher (and very highly) ranked for its Politics and Economics departments. However, it lacks Newcastle's general reputation and location, which might be very important. In terms of modules, Newcastle seems to be a tiny bit more insteresting, but that could be easily not be the case, as I don't prefer it by a large margin and I cannot foresee the quality of the lectures.

Which one do you guys believe is the better choice? Is Essex better in these subjects? Is Newcastle a more reputable university overall? Which would you choose and why?

Thank you in advance,

George
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think Newcastle is a more reputable university, I'd say they were about the same tbh. Personally I think the course is the most important thing, but if Newcastle's modules are only slightly more interesting then consider other factors like job, internship and study abroad opportunities and overall cost of living (if money is a factor).
Original post by Snufkin
I don't think Newcastle is a more reputable university, I'd say they were about the same tbh. Personally I think the course is the most important thing, but if Newcastle's modules are only slightly more interesting then consider other factors like job, internship and study abroad opportunities and overall cost of living (if money is a factor).

Thank you for your answer! I agree that the course is the most important criterion on which I should base my decision. However, I have heard that Essex is better in these subjects by a considerable distance. Thus, my studying there might be more beneficial.

Does anyone have an opinion on the two universities and/or these particular courses?
Newcastle is a Russel group lol. If employers had two candidates one from Newcastle and one from Essex the one from Essex would be shown the door quicker than you can imagine.
Reply 4
Original post by shop worker
Newcastle is a Russel group lol. If employers had two candidates one from Newcastle and one from Essex the one from Essex would be shown the door quicker than you can imagine.

It's a thread from 4 years ago, they've probably completed their masters.
And the information is misleading. If an employer knows the fields of politics or economics would choose the Essex candidate in a heartbeat (everything equal, clearly).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending