The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scared of going to King's?

Hi! :smile:

I received an unconditional offer for King's, even though my grades were below the required grades due to personal circumstances. I am thrilled to have been given this offer, but I kind of feel nauseous about going to King's nonetheless. As Philosophy is one part of my joint degree, I am scared that I am too stupid to attend King's. I am sincerely afraid of failing, not passing exams, flunking tests and so on. Being from a different country doesn't help much either, as I need to get used to the British education system first thing too. Anyone who has felt or feels the same way perhaps? I just don't want to fail and spend thousands of pounds if I end up dropping out of university...

PS: I did very well academically in high school according to my teachers, but still, we're talking about King's here.
The fact you got in says enough about your ability to come here. Really it's nothing out of the ordinary, to be scared of attending uni in general. For many it takes time to adjust to the new style of learning, as it's much more individual.

You'll find your feet, plenty of people have been, are currently, and will be in your position of nerves, so I wouldn't let it worry you too much :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Abramovic

I received an unconditional offer for King's, even though my grades were below the required grades due to personal circumstances. I am thrilled to have been given this offer, but I kind of feel nauseous about going to King's nonetheless. As Philosophy is one part of my joint degree, I am scared that I am too stupid to attend King's. I am sincerely afraid of failing, not passing exams, flunking tests and so on. Being from a different country doesn't help much either, as I need to get used to the British education system first thing too. Anyone who has felt or feels the same way perhaps? I just don't want to fail and spend thousands of pounds if I end up dropping out of university...

PS: I did very well academically in high school according to my teachers, but still, we're talking about King's here.

Congrats on the offer. I wouldn't worry too much as King's have obviously seen enough potential in you to want you at their uni! It's only natural to feel a bit apprehensive in the months before starting and there will be plenty of students in a similar position.

Some friends of mine who were coming to study in the UK for the first time took part in orientation activities during Fresher's week and it really put them at ease. Might be worth checking out if there's something similar at King's. Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You got an offer, though, so you must have done very well at your previous university!
Reply 4
Hey! Don't worry I am in your same shoes. I am also coming in as an intentional student. I have an conditional offer from King's but I don;t think I will be able to meet the conditions. I still question why King;s would even accept me but someone told me that King's see a potential that no one else saw in me. I am hoping everything works out, I really want to attend King's this fall.

Be proud of yourself, you earned that spot, you deserve it! And if you still feel like this message me, I know exactly how you are feeling :smile:
Original post by Abramovic

Q: Which body knows most about Philosophy at King's?
A: The King's Philosophy Department

Q Which body has just offered you a place to read Philosophy at King's
A: The King's Philosophy Department

If you haven't accepted the offer already (and I sincerely hope you have!) then please do ASAP! Your feeling nervous is a good sign, as you won't improve without being stretched, but there is little doubt that you should do well.

Feel proud, enjoy the glow of having already done well and say Yes!

Quick Reply