The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by vincrows
Not too sure about that.
She (or he, or whatever) sounds more like someone who doesn't have much real life knowledge of Oxbridge students in modern days, but just brainwashed by popular media and hearsay. :wink:

She seems to have very strong opinions on lots of things, though........

Yeah I just met normal people who were fellows in cambridge when I lived there. No strange ppople at all. She sounds like an alien to me LoL :biggrin:
Reply 41
Do you like sour grapes?

With a side-order of shoulder chips.
Reply 42
Original post by Des_Lumières
A human being: breathing, feeling, walking, talking, and... thinking!

Cool :cool:
Not too sure about that.
She (or he, or whatever) sounds more like someone who doesn't have much real life knowledge of Oxbridge students in modern days, but just brainwashed by popular media and hearsay. :wink:

She seems to have very strong opinions on lots of things, though........

Brainwashed by popular media? That is crazy. Popular media does not provide transparent information about to the real world implications of a neoliberal agenda and the pillars of its existence (the media being one these). It would be a total paradox if I looked to that arm of the mutated corpo hacks for information about the state of society. Total contradiction.
Original post by Thomb
Yeah I just met normal people who were fellows in cambridge when I lived there. No strange ppople at all. She sounds like an alien to me LoL :biggrin:

What is the fook? I am right here.
Reply 45
What is the fook? I am right here.

Sorry that was rude of me but then well you're quite rude too.
Brainwashed by popular media? That is crazy. Popular media does not provide transparent information about to the real world implications of a neoliberal agenda and the pillars of its existence (the media being one these). It would be a total paradox if I looked to that arm of the mutated corpo hacks for information about the state of society. Total contradiction.

My humble advice.
You'd really better stop it. You're looking rather desparate......
Original post by Thomb

May I subit that if one goes about with ones eyes and ears closed one perceives very little?

It is one thing to be not prepared to consider neoliberalism in the world today and deny its existence. It is an entirely other thing to enquiry into its effects, structure, substance.
Reply 48
May I subit that if one goes about with ones eyes and ears closed one perceives very little?

It is one thing to be not prepared to consider neoliberalism in the world today and deny its existence. It is an entirely other thing to enquiry into its effects, structure, substance.

Tis true but really LoL :biggrin: Live and let live?
My humble advice.
You'd really better stop it. You're looking rather desparate......

Where is the evidence for your claim? You have failed to engage with anything I have said. Ergo you are behaving like an insult generator designed by someone with not much programming experience. It's like, very well but what?
Reply 50
Where is the evidence for your claim? You have failed to engage with anything I have said. Ergo you are behaving like an insult generator designed by someone with not much programming experience. It's like, very well but what?

So you're just an insult generator With experience so presumably you spend more time generating insult. I think I know which is worse IMO. :angry:
Original post by Thomb
Tis true but really LoL :biggrin: Live and let live?

I agree with the sentiment.

In to today's society it is actually more like: 'live and let the other half die'.

Denying the existence of economic disparity and the social problems stemming from this in the media and in academic culture is like saying that those suffering do not have the right to exist. There is an intellectual responsibility to work with human reality. Physiologically speaking, if one denies an individual's existence for long enough they will begin to doubt their own existence. Refusing to consider the consequences of neoliberalism for scores of people is an act of disempowerment of the population - an attempt to cut off all forms of democracy and resistance to oppression, actually. It is deliberate and plays on taboo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52
I agree with the sentiment.

In to today's society it is actually more like: 'live and let the other half die'.

Denying the existence of economic disparity and the social problems stemming from this in the media and in academic culture is like saying that those suffering do not have the right to exist. There is an intellectual responsibility to work with human reality. Physiologically speaking, if one denies an individual's existence for long enough they will begin to doubt their own existence. Refusing to consider the consequences of neoliberalism for scores of people is an act of disempowerment of the population. It is deliberate and plays on taboo.

Really LoL so I get nausea so what? I've got worse problems to deal with.:tongue:
Original post by Thomb
So you're just an insult generator With experience so presumably you spend more time generating insult. I think I know which is worse IMO. :angry:

Huh? I've not made any personal comments against anyone. My remark about an insult generator was an observation about the treatment of me by this person.
Original post by tanhai
Hi guys,
Allow me to introduce myself, I am a student at the University of cambridge, studying Physics. I am a normal hard working person who never had any difficulties with people before, infact being a sporty person i have always been getting along with a large number of people. But here in cambridge i am like an outside, i dont really feel like i fit in with anyone here socially. The other students are really arrogant. Dropping out of Cambridge is not an option. I had a really good friend who also studies the same course as me but recently out of no where he stopped talking to me and i've never been in this situation before and not sure what to do. can anyone give me any advise please ?

hey!! im a second year natsci (not phys tho haha)
definitely look into joining societies (especially if the people in your college have already become quite cliquey)
it's definitely not too late to make new friends and if you're too overwhelmed with exam streas atm (i definitely am haha) then you can always start afresh next term!!
Reply 55
Huh? I've not made any personal comments against anyone.

You're comments about the Neo Cons And Liberals are about individuals are they not if not why not?
Original post by Thomb
Really LoL so I get nausea so what? I've got worse problems to deal with.:tongue:

I'm afraid I do not know to what you are referring.

In this analogy, you become sick when? In response to what? And hope for what to happen?
Original post by Thomb
You're comments about the Neo Cons And Liberals are about individuals are they not if not why not?

Yes, technically I am making depersonalised comment about individuals; these are human affairs we are talking about.

I haven't named anyone yet - you go ahead though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Well name someone.

Boris.
Original post by Thomb
Oh dear you'll get stuck in some office job and become a proto nazis if you're not careful. I think. Do you really exist? I mean is that really you?

I'm sorry but you are calling me a Nazi?

All I can say is that that was unexpected. Do you even realise how insulting that is? Not just to me but to the people whose friends, families, and ancestors were exterminated in the holocaust?

What the fact that you are questioning the existence of someone just as human as you reveals above all else is some level of disturbance in your empathetic pathways. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are trying to say.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending