The Student Room Group

Manchester vs Edinburgh, KCL vs Sheffield (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi, I am an international student applying for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence for my degree this coming September. I have to make my firm and insurance university decision by 8 June, and I am still quite confused on which uni is the best for me.

Firm : Manchester vs Edinburgh

Manchester (AAA): Both my parents are alumni from Manchester, so they actually do not prefer the uni as they are somehow kinda bored with it haha XD But most of my friends are making Manchester as their firm, and they keep on pushing me to follow them. It's tempting, given that Manchester has a good ranking and all.

Edinburgh (AAA): Scotland uni, so a 4 year degree for me. Far away from London. Supposedly very cold, and I am not fond of it. I have read around the forum, and I found out that for AI courses, Edinburgh is one of the best. Academically, Edinburgh is the best choice.

Insurance: KCL vs Sheffield

KCL (AAB): Reputable uni, located in the heart of London. I really want to study in London, but a little bit uncomfortable about how crowded it will be, etc. And their score for students satisfaction are not that high, and being an international student, I am afraid that I need a lot of support from the uni staffs. If not for the low student satisfaction score, I definitely choose KCL.

Sheffield (AAB): Reallyyy good student satisfaction score. A lot of my seniors are there, and a brand new building for engineering students. I really like the professors that had come to give us a talk about the uni during the Offer Holders Day. Maybe a more relaxed lifestyle compared to the hectic life in London.
Reply 1
Original post by kirah089
Hi, I am an international student applying for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence for my degree this coming September. I have to make my firm and insurance university decision by 8 June, and I am still quite confused on which uni is the best for me.

Firm : Manchester vs Edinburgh

Manchester (AAA): Both my parents are alumni from Manchester, so they actually do not prefer the uni as they are somehow kinda bored with it haha XD But most of my friends are making Manchester as their firm, and they keep on pushing me to follow them. It's tempting, given that Manchester has a good ranking and all.

Edinburgh (AAA): Scotland uni, so a 4 year degree for me. Far away from London. Supposedly very cold, and I am not fond of it. I have read around the forum, and I found out that for AI courses, Edinburgh is one of the best. Academically, Edinburgh is the best choice.

Insurance: KCL vs Sheffield

KCL (AAB): Reputable uni, located in the heart of London. I really want to study in London, but a little bit uncomfortable about how crowded it will be, etc. And their score for students satisfaction are not that high, and being an international student, I am afraid that I need a lot of support from the uni staffs. If not for the low student satisfaction score, I definitely choose KCL.

Sheffield (AAB): Reallyyy good student satisfaction score. A lot of my seniors are there, and a brand new building for engineering students. I really like the professors that had come to give us a talk about the uni during the Offer Holders Day. Maybe a more relaxed lifestyle compared to the hectic life in London.

You're right, Edinburgh is the best for AI out of they three. I've firmed the exact same course as you, Computer Science and AI, and will be starting in September. Have you visited any of the uni's? If not, try and do so as it will give you a feel of the place. Any more questions then give us a shout, I've been to Edinburgh quite a bit so that should help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by JP298
You're right, Edinburgh is the best for AI out of they three. I've firmed the exact same course as you, Computer Science and AI, and will be starting in September. Have you visited any of the uni's? If not, try and do so as it will give you a feel of the place. Any more questions then give us a shout, I've been to Edinburgh quite a bit so that should help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I have never visited any of the uni as I am an international student. Thanks for the reply tho, I think that I will make Edinburgh as my firm university as well! Will you take 4 yrs or 3 yrs degree? I am kind of nervous because I have only basic programming knowledge, do you have any suggestions of good programming books for beginners like me? And this is kinda weird, but are you a boy or a girl? XD
Reply 3
Original post by kirah089
No, I have never visited any of the uni as I am an international student. Thanks for the reply tho, I think that I will make Edinburgh as my firm university as well! Will you take 4 yrs or 3 yrs degree? I am kind of nervous because I have only basic programming knowledge, do you have any suggestions of good programming books for beginners like me? And this is kinda weird, but are you a boy or a girl? XD

Ah right, ok. If you do firm Edinburgh then give us a pm. I will be doing 4 yrs for the degree because the course is a joint honours I think you need to take the full 4 years. Also I'm like you, I only have basic programming knowledge though my maths skills are up to standard. (Btw I'm male 😂)

Posted from TSR Mobile
My daughter and I just finished two open days at both Manchester and Edinburgh-- and they definitely different. Manchester is a 3 year degree and you start out taking CS classes 100% of the time. Edinburgh is a four year program. The first year at Edinburgh, only 1/3 of your time is with CS. At Manchester, you have team projects (which looked like a lot of fun) in both the first and second years. At Edinburgh, you do not have team projects until the third year. At Manchester, the maths are linked to the CS curriculum, while at Edinburgh the maths are not linked and you take classes with the engineers, physicist, maths students, etc. I could go on and on. If possible, get a year by year plan of what you will be studying-- there is much more to this than just reputation and league tables.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you end up going to Edinburgh? What is it like? Are the exams tough? I received an offer from Edinburgh for the same course and I might choose it as my first choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending