The Student Room Group

Starting driving lessons again soon, very nervous!

Hey everyone,

I'm 19 and I have recently decided to give my lessons a go again, I used to have them a lot but I kind of just drifted away, I felt demotivated and it was a lot of money to spend when I was feeling like I was gaining no reward

However, I'm feeling motivated again now after realising how much of a drag it is to have to catch multiple buses to study and work etc. I have one concern that I can't shake!

I remember in my previous lessons I used to have good and bad ones, mainly bad, but my problem is, when I do something wrong I panic, and it's like a domino effect, like say for example I stall, then everything goes out the window I start to panic to move quickly and forget to check the road and check it's safe to go etc.

And that's the main thing I'm worried about, STALLING THE CAR! I can never seem to completely get the hang of the start off, I get told I'm bringing my feet off the clutch too fast

And pretty much ultimately I can never see myself being calm enough to ever pass my driving test and it's effecting my confidence
My solution was to compensate by adding more power. As long as you keep the revs above the 900-ish it normally idles at, you can avoid most stalling. Use a decent amount of power, but don't go crazy. Also, move your left foot slower off the clutch.
Don't worry, it'll come with experience. And my final piece of advice is to realise that at the end of the day, we're all human, and we are going to make mistakes. Even experienced drivers will pull out too early, accidentally stall etc. so don't panic when you make a mistake.
I struggled with stalling and moving off for ages when I first started learning to drive. It took me several months of lessons before I finally got the hang of it, and now I don't stall much at all! I know it's easier said than done, but really try not to worry if you stall or make a mistake. It's not the end of the world, messing up is part of the learning process.

As you progress and get better at controlling the car, you'll get much more confident! I had very little confidence when I first started learning, but now that I can drive fairly fluently, I am much calmer. It really does just take practice!

Also, if you feel like your driving instructor is doing things too fast and you don't feel ready for what they want you to do, tell them! My instructor tried to get me onto main roads before I was ready, so I insisted on having more lessons on quiet roads until I was more confident. Doing that really helped me, and I progressed very quickly after that! Good communication between you and your instructor is key, let them know what you're struggling with and practice until you are confident.

Best of luck! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending