The Student Room Group

1000 students accross London witholding rent in rent strike

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/accommodation/largest-student-rent-strike-in-british-history-gathers-momentum-at-roehampton-university-courtauld-a7016766.html

Largest student rent strike in British history.

How much rent are you paying per month for halls? Do you think it's too much?
Reply 1
Nobody forced then to go to a London uni. Rent prices are easy to find out, if they wanted to pay less they could have gone elsewhere.

Don't have much sympathy, tbh.
Property is theft!

:bl:

Original post by Drewski
Nobody forced then to go to a London uni. Rent prices are easy to find out, if they wanted to pay less they could have gone elsewhere.Don't have much sympathy, tbh.
Yes why should young people of any background expect to be able to study in their capital city at affordable prices. The nerve.
(edited 7 years ago)
No sympathy! As Drewski says, you don't go to London not knowing it's a lot pricier than anywhere else... Same applies to when people complain about the cost of stuff...
Original post by Drewski
Nobody forced then to go to a London uni. Rent prices are easy to find out, if they wanted to pay less they could have gone elsewhere.

Don't have much sympathy, tbh.

Surely there should be a reasonably level playing field though, I mean London universities are on the UCAS process, they are theoretically open access to people with the entry requirements - therefore why should parental financial support be the key qualification for entry because their accommodation charges are so high?

This is another aspect of the fact that London property prices are ridiculously inflated - it harms a lot of people's prospects and life chances and it also causes economic damage, as it is important that the main universities in London are able to recruit and retain the best students.
Don't know how I feel about this tbh
Reply 6
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes why should young people of any background expect to be able to study in their capital city at affordable prices. The nerve.

These people purport to be intelligent. If they were, they'd have done the research that shows them how expensive it is to live there while being a student or otherwise.

It's about being realistic. Don't be an idiot and expect things handed to you. And what difference does it make being the capital? So what? Are you suggesting people who dare to go to university in cities where the nation's government doesn't sit are wrong? Behave.
Quite daft of them. One of the reasons I decided to go to a uni outside London was that it would be much cheaper!
Reply 8
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Surely there should be a reasonably level playing field though, I mean London universities are on the UCAS process, they are theoretically open access to people with the entry requirements - therefore why should parental financial support be the key qualification for entry because their accommodation charges are so high?

This is another aspect of the fact that London property prices are ridiculously inflated - it harms a lot of people's prospects and life chances and it also causes economic damage, as it is important that the main universities in London are able to recruit and retain the best students.

Nobody is forced to go to university. It is entirely a voluntary process - and rightly so. Every student gets to choose where they'd like to go - again, rightly so. And thanks to a myriad of information (like this very website) they can be extremely well informed about their choices.

To then complain that their choice is expensive is beyond moronic.
I, like a lot of others, chose to not study in London because it would be unaffordable. If these students withholding rent are so bothered by the prices, why didn't they choose to study elsewhere?

London is an extremely expensive city, and in reality £150 isn't excessive, I paid £130 per week in York for example.
I am sure that is illegal
Original post by Fullofsurprises

I guess you could also let the system sort itself out? :beard: If the majority of students are priced out of London then people will start applying elsewhere, meaning the London universities will have make their rents affordable or risk lowering entry requirements and slipping down the rankings.

The problem is this obsession with living/working/studying in London (not just students, but everyone) which is causing the massive bubble - it will have to burst eventually :sigh:
I agree with the comments above
There's really no excuse for paying extreme rents as a student, the transport system is so good in London that you can commute into the city for way under an hour and pay literally half of capital prices.
Its one of the factors any student should be researching and easily found out by a bit of research. 1000 students is not enough and they will eventually break ranks. If they tried it in private sector they would just get evicted.

Original post by Puddles the Monkey

The problem is this obsession with living/working/studying in London (not just students, but everyone) which is causing the massive bubble - it will have to burst eventually :sigh:

Some people have no choice but to work there as thats where the jobs are. If you are gooing to one of the top rated unis, then save up. The others, then they could have considered outside London. It wont burst in any significnat way becayse the student market is only a small part and there are lots of people on full salaries who struggle.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I guess you could also let the system sort itself out? :beard: If the majority of students are priced out of London then people will start applying elsewhere, meaning the London universities will have make their rents affordable or risk lowering entry requirements and slipping down the rankings.

Like house prices? All my life I have been told the bubble will burst any moment now. Still waiting. The government and banking system seem to actively do their best to keep bubbles like this going. You say just let the the situation fix itself, regardless of any scepticism for free market type thinking actually working, the government doesn't even do this, see restrictions on be able to build housing etc. The government actively prevents free markets. It interferers all the time, just in a way that makes it even worse for plebs like me. I want to interfere in a way to help plebs like me. :sad:

It's as if the state is acting in the interests of those who own a tonne of property and make a killing from the tolls they extract from the renting class :beard:
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know what this will achieve. It's common knowledge that London is extremely expensive, and given the popularity of London universities (and, well, everything else in London) there is no reason for prices to drop. It's going to require people to go elsewhere for London prices to drop, and I can't see that happening any time soon.

You could argue that universities should keep their own rents affordable for students, but if we had a properly functioning market this would happen automatically as students would opt for private accommodation if it represented better value, because they would have the choice.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Property is theft!

:bl:

:sigh:
Choosing the go to a London university and complaining about rent prices is taking the piss a bit.

Although that is not to say that rent prices in London are ridiculous, with landlords looking the bleed people dry. A friend recently had to relocate to Birmingham after living in London all her life because her husband's job in finance was not enough to support her and her baby. They've gone from living in a tiny squalid flat to a fairly spacious three bed house for less rent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending