The Student Room Group

anxiety and exams

Hi! I recently only discovered that I actually have severe anxiety when it comes to exams (because previously when I had exams I was on anti depressants but for depression, not anxiety)

My university might allow me to retake my exams in July but all I am feeling right now is like my life is over and I am having difficulties studying again for the topics during which i was feeling anxious about.

To be honest all I want to do is curl up in a ball and cry. Any advice?
One of my worst problems when sitting an exam for me is the physical symptoms of high-intensity anxiety (pounding heart, increased breathing rate, shaking hands ect). It would worsen the anxiety and make my mind race to the point that I couldn't answer the questions compared to if I was calm and level-headed. My doctor prescribed me propanolol to take before the exam which completely irradiates these physical symptoms. Might be worth a shot for you.
Reply 2
Hey, I also suffer with anxiety which majorly affects my exams and I have had to defer my exams for two years running now. I agree with the above that beta blockers are a good idea because they calm the adrenaline in you and will prevent you from hyperventilating and all the horrible physical side effects of anxiety. You might also want to consider attending CBT courses or seeing someone so that you can mentally prepare for your exams in July so that by the time they come around you will be ready to face them better :smile:
I'm the same! Have you ever tried rescue remedy? It works a treat!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I use rescue remedy it's good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest