The Student Room Group

University or Apprenticeship schemes?

Which one you prefer and why?
Apprenticeships are much more favourable to an employer because it has shown them that you have gained work experience and you can get paid for it as the same time. With Universities its all about studying and depending on the workload, it most commonly means you will have less time to gain work experience and it is NOT a guarantee to enter the working life, not to mention the massive debt hanging over you at the end of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
It's a very personal choice - one that if I had to make the decision now, I'd probably struggle to make (I went to uni eventually, but really didn't want to at the time).

Although there are many undergraduates they still live at home during their studies, one of the major benefits of uni is the opportunity to move away and live away from the comforts and day-to-day support of family. I think people learn a lot by doing this and ultimately apprenticeships generally do not pay enough (well very few do) to allow people to do this.

The opportunity to move away from your friends and to make a wider set of friends from very different backgrounds/communities is good for people (in my opinion). Unless you are going to an employer that culturally is very sociable and diverse, this is less likely to happen.

Plus with uni you get at least three more years to work out what you are doing and why you might enjoy. You get the time to work out who you are. Obviously that could also happen with an apprenticeship though - you could easily change your mind.

Apprenticeships are much better from an employability perspective with the exception of some professional vocations. Uni is great as an opportunity to develop you - it isn't about the degree certificate, its more about the life you lead while studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fully agreed with this.

Quick Reply

Latest