The Student Room Group

Teaching - Maths

hiya, i wont to go into teaching maths as my choice of career. I just need to know what kind of course/courses i need to apply for at uni (and what generally needs to be done to become a teacher) and wheather all of the work will be fruitful in the end? i.e. doing a math degree and racking my brain for an underpaid job. But, it's what i enjoy.. umm.. anyways, your views please :smile:
Taslima
underpaid job

according to yesterdays newspaper there is a shortage of maths teachers so the Government is proposing to pay them extra money or something
Reply 2
I think you've gotta do Maths (or something Maths related) for your degree, then go on to do a PGCE.
Reply 4
Nylex
I think you've gotta do Maths (or something Maths related) for your degree, then go on to do a PGCE.

You can do a maths degree and then do "training on the job" by means of Graduate Training Programme - you do an intensive, hands-on one year course within one main school with mentors etc and visit other schools, but end up doing much more teaching (and you get paid for it... more than can be said for most PGCE!)
The essential, however, is do get a good degree in Maths first!
Reply 5
There's also loads of information here http://www.useyourheadteach.gov.uk/ which tells you everything about the qualifications you need. Go to the contact us bit and ask for an application pack - they're really informative. And they come in the post in a funky zip up plastic folder.
Reply 6
The GTP is useless. Some schools leave them to fend for themselves on their own,cand I think it is much more worthwhile doing the PGCE.
By opting for that root, you can change your mind on careers if needs be.
Alternatively, you can get an education degree (B.Ed) and thus you won't need to do a PGCE once you've finished, cutting out one year of work.
Good luck with your career!

Latest

Trending

Trending