The Student Room Group

I've recieved a letter that i'm eligible to DSA, but i'm only dyslexic...?

hi, i've recently recieved a letter from student finance that i am eligible for DSA, and well, basically, i need some explaining....

i need someone to explain to me what's going on, why dyelxia counts into DSA? what help will they give? can i get money for equipment from DSA that is not related to my dyslexia?

i applied because my school strongly suggested that i would do so, but because my proof of dyslexia was out of date (well, not a post 16 dignosis) so i sent off the report that the school did with me for my extra time( i'm kinda worried if that counts as a medical evidence because i've never been to a psychologist?), and i recieved i yes

i'm now told to do a study needs assessment and i don't know what to expect, i mean, it's not like i don't have an arm or stuff, so what can they help me with? I've applied for architecture for uni and it's a course that requires quite alot of money, like drawing boards, pens, rendering computers which all costs a fourtune, but it's not like because of my dyslexia that i need these things, i need them from the begining, so i don't know exactly what can they help me with...... (and how's the DSA £ 5000, is that for anything that i need for uni?)

i've heard that they can provide special software for writing, but i don't have too much problem with me writing.....

to add i bit more info, the report had like stats like my reading accuracy, reading speeds, writing speeds and writing accuracy, and i seem like i am havily below average on reading accuracy and quite low on reading speed, while being on average on the writing side, and that is very true of it, i suck at exams, not because i don't understand, but most of the time, if i want to read, i skip most of the words in a sentence and read the words that i find easy to read, and to date, even though i can do uni grade quantum mechanics (had a race with my teacher and won) but i still can't get past an a B in physics becuase keywords like "fully" or "completely" don't register, and i often miss the whole point, even if i slowly read the words

Thankyou for reading such a long post
DSA will only pay for study related costs for your Dyslexia. They won't pay for costs non-Dyslexic students have.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
DSA will only pay for study related costs for your Dyslexia. They won't pay for costs non-Dyslexic students have.

what are dyslexia related costs then?

it seems like i have to make an appointment for study needs assessment, and the exams are comming, is it worth it to do it? if not, should i just ignore it then?
Original post by 1832vin

it seems like i have to make an appointment for study needs assessment, and the exams are comming, is it worth it to do it? if not, should i just ignore it then?

The assessment will go over that for you.

If you had exam arrangements at school, the assessment is the only way you can get them as a student with a learning disability / long term medical problem.
Reply 4
Original post by 1832vin

It's definitely worth having the assessment. My assessor came up with all sorts of things I hadn't considered.

Unless you go through the assessment, you can't get support like extra time or breaks in exams, a PC for typing exams if you find that easier than handwriting etc.

You aren't bound in any way by the assessment. If you find their report isn't useful, you can choose not to accept the support they suggest. You have nothing to lose by attending the assessment and probably a lot to gain.
Original post by 1832vin

As a dyspraxic (and then discovered also dyslexic in my 1st month of uni) dsa actually provided me with more support than I ever expected, you can get things like screen reading software, a dictaphone for lectures, a support tutor to help you with your assignments and time management. I also got recommended extra time, rest breaks and pc use. All that support enabled me to fulfill my potential and i got the highest grades i've ever had so as klix says you've nothing to lose :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest