The Student Room Group

CIE A levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How was it guys??
How did you guys find the paper?
Original post by Coolmeechy
How was it guys??

It was good I think.. But then again you never know. Nearly ran out of time, I had to cut down a bit of what I was writing for one 10 mark question.
The questions were good. Fortunately they weren't as unexpected at paper 1.
Reply 23
Original post by ishabbey
It was good I think.. But then again you never know. Nearly ran out of time, I had to cut down a bit of what I was writing for one 10 mark question.

Good good. I ran out of time. Started writing a ten mark question in the last five mins! But i couldnt really recollect what it was all about so there wasnt any point anyway. Atleast i didnt skip the question. thank god for that. Lol
Reply 24
Good good. I ran out of time. Started writing a ten mark question in the last five mins! But i couldnt really recollect what it was all about so there wasnt any point anyway. Atleast i didnt skip the question. thank god for that. Lol

I totally ran out of time and forgot the answer to 1. b). So I know I will not get 20 marks for sure :frown:

I actually did both the a questions first and think I did alright with them. I also think I did alright in 2.b) but I couldn't answer 1 of the 4 questions I had to.

I really hope the grade boundaries are low this year and we all come out with As or Bs. Anyone doing the A2 units this year too?
Original post by hilrho
I totally ran out of time and forgot the answer to 1. b). So I know I will not get 20 marks for sure :frown:

I actually did both the a questions first and think I did alright with them. I also think I did alright in 2.b) but I couldn't answer 1 of the 4 questions I had to.

I really hope the grade boundaries are low this year and we all come out with As or Bs. Anyone doing the A2 units this year too?

Which sections did you do? I heard the French Revolution questions were difficult..
Only AS for me this year thankfully. Any idea what topics you'll do for A2?
Reply 26
Which sections did you do? I heard the French Revolution questions were difficult..
Only AS for me this year thankfully. Any idea what topics you'll do for A2?

Yes it was! I couldn't answer part b on French Revolution :frown: Hopefully the grade boundary will be pretty low. I am doing the A2 papers this year as well so Paper 3 is the Holocaust and Paper 4 on Mussolini and Hitler. Are you doing CIE Geography or Economics by any chance?
Reply 27
Original post by hilrho

I hope so too... but Dont worry about it now. Just focus on the other exams.
I am doing the A2 papers too btw. Doing the holocaust for paper3 and Mussolini and Hitler for Paper 4 (wide range of topic for this paper).
Are u doing A2 this year?
Reply 28
Original post by hilrho
Yes it was! I couldn't answer part b on French Revolution :frown: Hopefully the grade boundary will be pretty low. I am doing the A2 papers this year as well so Paper 3 is the Holocaust and Paper 4 on Mussolini and Hitler. Are you doing CIE Geography or Economics by any chance?

Haha we r doing the same portions!
Reply 29
I hope so too... but Dont worry about it now. Just focus on the other exams.
I am doing the A2 papers too btw. Doing the holocaust for paper3 and Mussolini and Hitler for Paper 4 (wide range of topic for this paper).
Are u doing A2 this year?

Are you serious?! ME TOO! Exact same topics for Paper 3 and 4 :biggrin: How did you ever manage to find books to study from for those papers?! I had to do like sooo much to find books for them I haven't even started studying for them to be honest
Reply 30
Haha we r doing the same portions!

Where do you live? If it's in Dhaka I would love to meet up! Like at Coffee Beans on or Butlers or Bellagio maybe? its near my house and revising together would incredibly helpful :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by hilrho
Are you serious?! ME TOO! Exact same topics for Paper 3 and 4 :biggrin: How did you ever manage to find books to study from for those papers?! I had to do like sooo much to find books for them I haven't even started studying for them to be honest

Our school got us books actually. the holocaust is fine really. Easy to prepare. But the paper4 topics there is sooo much. I have barely read them all. We can discuss just before the histroy papers. And share resources.
Reply 32
Original post by hilrho
Where do you live? If it's in Dhaka I would love to meet up! Like at Coffee Beans on or Butlers or Bellagio maybe? its near my house and revising together would incredibly helpful :biggrin:

Aw I would love to but I love pretty far from Dhaka and even Bangladesh for tht matter. I am from Kerala. South-west tip of india. Reeally far. :/
Reply 33
Aw I would love to but I love pretty far from Dhaka and even Bangladesh for tht matter. I am from Kerala. South-west tip of india. Reeally far. :/

Thats sad :frown: But Karela is gorgeous! My friends go to Kodaikanal International School, not in Karela but close isnt it? :biggrin:

Our school got us books actually. the holocaust is fine really. Easy to prepare. But the paper4 topics there is sooo much. I have barely read them all. We can discuss just before the histroy papers. And share resources.

Do you mind telling me the name of the books?And how did you prepare for the holocaust papers? And yes if we could share resources and discuss questions together would be so helpful. There's only 3 different past papers really: all from last year and the different 'zone' papers. What other subjects are you doing?
Reply 34
Original post by hilrho
Thats sad :frown: But Karela is gorgeous! My friends go to Kodaikanal International School, not in Karela but close isnt it? :biggrin:
Do you mind telling me the name of the books?And how did you prepare for the holocaust papers? And yes if we could share resources and discuss questions together would be so helpful. There's only 3 different past papers really: all from last year and the different 'zone' papers. What other subjects are you doing?

Yea kodaikanal is close. Like 6-7 hours i think lol

http://www.amazon.com/Holocaust-Cambridge-Perspectives-History/dp/0521595010 This is the Holocaust book we used. its more important to understand the basic concpt of the different historians' perspectives. This u can find from online sources. And i ca help you too. But right now i got to go sleep (you should too, its pretty late there i am sure!). Got three exams tmrw! :s-smilie:

I also do English language, Sociology, Business, and Biology
Reply 35
Yea kodaikanal is close. Like 6-7 hours i think lol

http://www.amazon.com/Holocaust-Cambridge-Perspectives-History/dp/0521595010 This is the Holocaust book we used. its more important to understand the basic concpt of the different historians' perspectives. This u can find from online sources. And i ca help you too. But right now i got to go sleep (you should too, its pretty late there i am sure!). Got three exams tmrw! :s-smilie:

I also do English language, Sociology, Business, and Biology

Haha yeah I went to sleep right after, I was exhausted! Can you help me with the online sources form where I can learn about the historians perspectives and stuff please? I think you're 30 minutes behind me :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by hilrho
Haha yeah I went to sleep right after, I was exhausted! Can you help me with the online sources form where I can learn about the historians perspectives and stuff please? I think you're 30 minutes behind me :smile:

Hey I was out of town. For an entrance exam. Here's a file (attached) that our teacher gave us. Maybe this will help? Its on the Holocaust.
Reply 37
Original post by coolmeechy
hey i was out of town. For an entrance exam. Here's a file (attached) that our teacher gave us. Maybe this will help? Its on the holocaust.

prsom

thank you! <3

Also how did the exam go? Hope it went well :h:

How well prepared are you for the exam next friday?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by hilrho
prsom
thank you! <3
Also how did the exam go? Hope it went well :h:
How well prepared are you for the exam next friday?

No problem :smile:
The exam was hard..dont really expect to pass it. A very competitive one.

Anyways, the holocaust paper..I am okay i think. you really dont need a LOT of prep for this. Just understand the diffrent perspectives.
Reply 39
You need to knwo the basics of the Holocaust. Once you know that, learn the different perspectives. Mainly the structuralist and intentionalist (and just know the 'synthesis' approach). Also be aware of the holocaust deniers and relativists although I dont think there will be questions from that.

For the exam, the question is always "What can you learn from this extract about the interpretation and approach of the historian who wrote it? Use the extract and your knowledge of the Holocaust to explain your answer."

So basically first read the extract twice. Understand the perspective. Is it structuralist or intentionalist?
Then start the essay with a general introduction on the topic. Prepare this before hand. Like 2-3 lines. On what the holocaust was, how it is one of the most horrific events in history..killing around 6 million Jews etc.In the next para, or as part of the intro, mention how there are mainly two perspectives in this and brielfy explain this. Also suggest a few names of historians from each of these perspectives.Then say what perspective you think the historian who wrote the text is.In the following paragraphs, quote evidence from the extract which shows the historian's perspective (this will be easy once u understand the difference between structuralists and intentionalists.) and just explain. Wherever necessary, add you knowledge about the holocaust as well.P.s I dont know if this is the best essay structure but it's what i practiced. Anyone who knows more about this paper, please comment and share your views.

Quick Reply

Latest