The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Definitely applying. After all, you can always apply to an unlimited number of international universities. Also, many courses accept the majority of applicants with the required credentials. Even though i'm applying for an ultra-competitive course (PPE at Balliol) my grades are above and beyond their listed qualifications and I feel I have what they're looking for, so even if I could only use the UCAS form I'd still use a spot for Oxford.
Reply 2
Speaking of which - how did your AP's go?
Reply 3
I felt like I aced them, except english language, where I bombed one of the essays. Still, the curve is pretty generous so I'll be alright. I still haven't gotten my scores because they use the cheapest mail and I didn't pay extra for instant phone notification.
Hm, like jbruner17 I'm still giving Oxford a shot (E&M, also at Balliol)...
I know it may be a waste but I'll always be left wondering...what if? if I hadn't tried!
As long as an Oxbridge application isn't completely unrealistic, ie you're predicted AAA at A-level, your GCSEs are decent (which DOES NOT mean mostly A*s) and at least 2 of your other choices are 'safer', you should give it a go if you want. You never know, and you might regret it if you don't. Unless you're applying for a really competitive course, you're very unlikely to get no offers, and even if you do, you'll probably still be able to find something decent through Extra.
I'm going to be applying for English.. And, seeing as my gcses aren't flawless I don't think I'll risk a place.. I was going to before.. But, I am seriously scared of rejection from all 5 places.. I also really fear that because of my gcses I would get a sraight rejection from oxford without interview, so I don't want to risk it.. if I was more sure of getting an interview I would.. But, I would feel it a great waste if I applied and didn't even get an interview, when I could use that place for another top uni I stand a better chance of getting in to.
Lucyatthegym
I'm going to be applying for English.. And, seeing as my gcses aren't flawless I don't think I'll risk a place.. I was going to before.. But, I am seriously scared of rejection from all 5 places.. I also really fear that because of my gcses I would get a sraight rejection from oxford without interview, so I don't want to risk it.. if I was more sure of getting an interview I would.. But, I would feel it a great waste if I applied and didn't even get an interview, when I could use that place for another top uni I stand a better chance of getting in to.

How do you feel about Cambridge? They interview pretty much everyone predicted AAA, even for the really competitive courses, with the possible exception of medicine. And if you don't mind my asking, what did you get in your GCSEs?
kellywood_5
How do you feel about Cambridge? They interview pretty much everyone predicted AAA, even for the really competitive courses, with the possible exception of medicine. And if you don't mind my asking, what did you get in your GCSEs?

I'm worried about Cambridge knowing our ums scores.. Should only be a problem with maths as that's the only subject I don't think I'll get an a in straight away.. It is the subject I'm dropping. But, also Oxford do a test for english now which would be a chance to show my ability.

2a*, 2a, 3b, 1c, 2d (ICT and textiles).. I think I'll get rejected straight away with that.

I'm sure that if I got an interview I'd stand a decent chance, I just don't want to risk not getting an interview at all.
Reply 9
kellywood_5
As long as an Oxbridge application isn't completely unrealistic, ie you're predicted AAA at A-level, your GCSEs are decent (which DOES NOT mean mostly A*s) and at least 2 of your other choices are 'safer', you should give it a go if you want. You never know, and you might regret it if you don't. Unless you're applying for a really competitive course, you're very unlikely to get no offers, and even if you do, you'll probably still be able to find something decent through Extra.

I agree, but what courses at Oxford and Cambridge the least popular? I'm thinking Arch + Anth, SPS, etc.
Reply 10
Lucyatthegym
I'm worried about Cambridge knowing our ums scores.. Should only be a problem with maths as that's the only subject I don't think I'll get an a in straight away.. It is the subject I'm dropping. But, also Oxford do a test for english now which would be a chance to show my ability.

2a*, 2a, 3b, 1c, 2d (ICT and textiles).. I think I'll get rejected straight away with that.

I'm sure that if I got an interview I'd stand a decent chance, I just don't want to risk not getting an interview at all.

Don't worry about it. They really focus more on predicted grades and AS results than GCSE's.
I applied and was rejected this year, but to be honest, even if I'd only had the five spaces I'd still have gone for it; I agree with Kellywood that if you've got a decent shot you should at least try it... I think I probably scraped an interview but I'm still glad I tried. I had Oxford, 3 'middle' unis (Bristol, Warwick, York) and 2 saftey nets. I'd probably have kept Oxford and not applied to York or something.
Lucyatthegym

I don't think UMS marks are that important really, although obviously it will be impressive if you can get a high A in English. OK, so your GCSEs aren't great by Oxbridge standards, especially because English is so competitive, but if you do well at AS and you're predicted AAA at A-level, I don't see why you wouldn't get an interview at Cambridge. It might be wise to be careful with Oxford though- I remember a girl on here who was rejected without interview with full marks in AS English :s: The interviews, the test and any written work they ask you to submit will give you the chance to show how good you are at English, which should matter a lot more than GCSEs.

Don John: SPS, Arch + Anth, ASNAC etc probably are the least competitive, but it's worth remembering that they have the least number of places available as well. By 'really competitive', I mean courses like medicine, law, English, history etc, which I think are the most competitive at all unis, but obviously every subject at Oxbridge is very competitive!
Reply 13
what? we only get 5 options now? we have been told 6 all along. this is the first ive heard about 5 options.
Reply 14
It was releaased on the UCAS website last month.
Reply 15
For everybody who is thinking of not applying because of their GCSE results Im just going to tell you about my situation quickly.

My GCSE grades are 4 A's 6 B's 1 C (thats right, no A*s). I worked hard at AS and felt I was in a position to apply. Anyway I did, the interviews went well (I did get asked about my GCSEs but they were happy with my answer) and I ended up getting pooled from Jesus College Cambridge. Although I wasn't 'fished' out the pool it just goes to show you are not instantly written off just because your GCSEs are not straight A*s. I would advise anybody to go for it if you are in a position to apply, dont spend your life thinking 'what if'.

EDIT: My UMS scores were nothing special either. All were between 251 and 259 (apart from General studies)
Reply 16
Its only a waste if you don't want to go there. Period.
Reply 17
I'm still applying, although it does mean I have a to think a bit more carefully because Economics is a competitive course.
I haven't really decided whether or not to give it a go. I'm certainly less keen now it's one of five rather than one of six. I'm also pretty much decided on five others, so it will mean one of them has to go. I really don't know.
Reply 19
Don John
I agree, but what courses at Oxford and Cambridge the least popular? I'm thinking Arch + Anth, SPS, etc.

can't remember the what cycle, or where i got this data (most probably from someone on here), but this is the "stasitical chance of getting a place" for each course at Cambridge. SPS is actually one of the most competitive courses (more so than medicine). ofcourse however, you should apply for whatever course you want to study, because if it interests you, then you've got just as much chance as the next person! Plus, if you've got AAA at A Level, unless you're applying for scarily competitive courses (english, law, medicine), you'll get a couple of offers out of the 5 if Cambridge doesn't work out, even from the most competitive places.

1 Architecture 10.34%
2 Philosophy 17.04%
3 Economics 18.43%
4 SPS 19.89%
5 Law 20.68%
6 Medicine 21.94%
7 English 25.17%
8 Oriental Studies 27.02%
9 Engineering 27.25%
10. Vet. Med. 27.35%
11. Land Economy 27.38%
12. History 31.65%