The Student Room Group

Dont want to do apprenticeship, but have to

Story goes, came out of college 2014 for 3 years, spent 6 months looking for job while in job centre, nothing solid, decided it was due to lack of experience, started apprenticeship in june-july in retail, hated it. Started a new one in electrical company, been there 5 months, looking good but now having issues.

I NEVER wanted to do an apprenticeship and I refuse to go to uni.

I feel the only way to get into full paid work is apprenticeship

Simple reason, i dont want to learn anymore. I want to work, not learn. What is the point in learning something your never going to use and just keep perfecting it.I want to get out there!

So, today my assessor came in and my coursework was not up to standards. Half done or not done. I have 0 motivation to do it.

Im simply happy just doing my work. However there is another problem, do I ditch the apprenticeship and ask for full paid work? Or continue with the apprenticeship?

My gut tells me continue, because im guaranteed to get something at the end of it with will prove useful.

On the side i feel like im having attitude problems. (I dont know if others can see it) I now have the "I dont care if someone is offended or put off" or the "Can we have abit of this? NO!" and "Im not paid enough to do this"

Also the fact im on minimum wage dosnt help. Its the stigma. At my age I should be getting £6.70. Im getting less than a 16 year old.I get that the rest of the money pays for the course. Its the stigma.

With the wage, my age & the current situation, I feel like ive failed and im doomed to be on low pay.
Reply 1
that's the easiest question to answer. Stop stropping and do your coursework. People will notice your attitude so try and fix that too. If you enjoy the actual work just see your time out, tick the boxes then you're done. If you leave you'll struggle to find anyone to take a non time served apprentice who couldn't be bothered doing their coursework.
Once you're out the end of your first year, your wage should increase, as has been said, get on and finish it. Generally, they're training you for a more skilled job than entry level. Be thankful you're not on a 6 year course.

Quick Reply