The Student Room Group

Aqa chemistry as level 2016 predictions

Does anyone have any predictions for the AQA AS level chemistry exams on 27 May and 10 June 2016, thanks!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths heavy, which suck
Original post by chlxx
Does anyone have any predictions for the AQA AS level chemistry exams on 27 May and 10 June 2016, thanks!:smile:

It's gonna be REALLY difficult. Learn everything.
Reply 3
Original post by TeachChemistry
It's gonna be REALLY difficult. Learn everything.

I'm struggling with calculations, any advice on how to improve with that? None of my teachers are willing to help me so I dont really know how to check my answers etc
Original post by Mina_
I'm struggling with calculations, any advice on how to improve with that? None of my teachers are willing to help me so I dont really know how to check my answers etc

Which calculations? There are lots of different ones.
Original post by Mina_
Maths heavy, which suck

>heavy maths

Plugging numbers into an equation does not constitute heavy maths
Reply 6
Original post by langlitz
>heavy maths

Plugging numbers into an equation does not constitute heavy maths

Literally no one asked you
Reply 7
Original post by TeachChemistry
Which calculations? There are lots of different ones.

The one in relation to the practicals usually (like the one in the new specimen papers)
Original post by Mina_
Literally no one asked you

Thankfully it's a forum eh
Does anybody have the second set of specimen papers? If so I would really appreciate it in my revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Lazy Cynic
Does anybody have the second set of specimen papers? If so I would really appreciate it in my revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep they're all online on the AQA website:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/assessment-resources
Reply 11
Predictions of grade boundaries for paper 1 and 2 (separately) ?
Hmm it really depends how hard they make it...i want it be like the first set of Specimen Papers as they were soooo much easier...the second set are an absolute bitch....so hard! If i got them in the exam, i'd surely fail.

But to answer your question, my teacher said he doesn't think they'll change that much...about 78% for an A which equates to 62/70 i think...but i'm not sure i feel it will be a low lower...i kind of just want a B or a C in Chem this year. B maybe like 68% and C 58% roughly..What do you think the grade boundaries will be like?
Reply 13
Original post by AssedAwan
Hmm it really depends how hard they make it...i want it be like the first set of Specimen Papers as they were soooo much easier...the second set are an absolute bitch....so hard! If i got them in the exam, i'd surely fail.

But to answer your question, my teacher said he doesn't think they'll change that much...about 78% for an A which equates to 62/70 i think...but i'm not sure i feel it will be a low lower...i kind of just want a B or a C in Chem this year. B maybe like 68% and C 58% roughly..What do you think the grade boundaries will be like?

I think they'll be a lot lower... Yeah as the second set of specimen papers are a bitch paper 1 I think could be really hard. Then paper 2 I find easy. I assume depending on difficultly... 70-75% A then take 10% off for grades lower. I'm doing biology too and that's hard af... So I'm hoping all grade boundaries are really low. As it's the first year they've done it
Reply 14
Apparently the papers are very similar to the specimens so just go over them
Reply 15
Original post by neymar69
Apparently the papers are very similar to the specimens so just go over them

How do you know?
Reply 16
what is the first set and what is the second set of specimen papers?
My teachers work on a percentage rule, with 40% being an E , 50% a D and so on. Has anyone else done the specimen papers and if so what marks did you get? I got 2 U grades 😭😭

Are there another set of AS specimen papers somewhere? My teachers have to keep guessing and making them up themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the long mark questions are likely to be designing a practical etc and improving experimental procedure. Anyone has any ideas?
Has anyone done the Teachers only specimen materials? How did you guys find it?

Quick Reply

Latest