The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've got the MEI one later- i;m quite hopeful- after screwing up mechanics i need a good mark here!
Reply 2
I'm not sure how I did on mechanics.. Hopefully went ok, but yeah I definitely want to get as many marks as I can on this one! I think I need to, seeing as I'm probably going to drop quite a few next year (eg on Mechanics 2! :frown: )

I'm hoping there's a nice 8 mark question on finding the inverse of a 3x3 matrix.. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Ok that went BAD.

Well there were two questions I couldn't get to work so that's about 8ish marks down the pan already.. And I didn't have time to check it through. :frown:

How did anyone else find it?
Reply 4
^ Did you take the MEI one or regular OCR
Reply 5
regular OCR one..

*sigh*
Reply 6
Lily!

Well there were two questions I couldn't get to work so that's about 8ish marks down the pan already.. And I didn't have time to check it through. :frown:

How did anyone else find it?

I did every question, but didn't have any time to check it through.

Can anyone remember the answers?
MEI OCR FP1 was beautiful! :biggrin:
i finished the MEI one after an hour, and i LOVED it!!
The normal OCR one was bad...

I just couldn't fore the life of me get the induction to work and I thought the last question was a typo til I tried it :tongue:
Reply 10
I thought it was easy! I was dreading an induction question where you had to prove something was divisible by 8, but it was a standard summing series one, so I was happy.
Reply 11
Haha, yeah the last question.. couldn't do that one!

I have no idea why but I couldn't get the question which asked you to use the standards results.. I know it's really basic but I couldn't get it down to n cubed! Agh.

Annoyed!

I reeeally want to get an A in this! I wanted to get a high-ish A but I think that's out of the question now.

Maaaaaaaan.. :mad:
Reply 12
How many solutions did poeple get for the very last question? I just had two, but someone I was talking to insisted there were four...
My MEI one went quite well- didn't even attempt the 4 marker on inverse of 3x3 matrix- just escaped me!

Rest went well though confident of an A- but not sure if enough to make up for my major screw up in mechanics- i only dropped minimum of 20 marks..:rolleyes:
Reply 14
normal OCR was fantastic! I was really dreading a hard induction one too from the text book but all the questions were rather basic. There were 2 solutions for the final +/-(5+3i) or something like that; i got 4, but then squared 2 of them and got 16-30i.

Only question that threw me was the cubic roots, where you sub x for 1/u. I think once you subd in you had to x out by u^3? And for the roots where 1/alpha etc i had a guess at -b/a from the equation before.

Other than that, a nice paper. Hope it went ok for everyone :smile:
Reply 15
simulataneous equations? i got a quadratic for detM.
Reply 16
That last question really got me.. Wasn't sure how to do it. How did anyone else go about it?

What about that question with three equations? And you had to say if it had solutions when 'a' was 2.. What did everyone get? I got there weren't any solutions because I had like 2x + 4y = 12 and 2x + 4y = 16 (those numbers aren't correct but was something like that!). Anyone else have anything like that?! It would make me happy if you said yes :smile:
I will post all the answers in about one hour.

Mr M.
Reply 18
Ye...i gt something similar..you have 2 equations bt they didnt match up so you say theres no solns!
Determinant was a quadratic...then you said it was non singular when a = 2 or something for the 2nd part.
Reply 19
This is what I did for the last question... Im not sure if its right thou! it seemed right at the time thou ha

I think the question was this: z²-2z-(15+30i)

Then by using completed the square….

= (z-1) ²-1-(15+30i)

= (z-1) ² -16 – 30i

=(z-1) ² = 16 + 30i

(z-1) = 5+3i [From the previous question]

z = 6+3i

OR

(z-1) = -5-3i [From the previous question]

z = -4-3i

anyone else get the same??

Latest