The Student Room Group

Has anyone here been ill during exam periods?

I got an infection from my sister yesterday. :biggrin: (stupid cow came and visited us even though I told her I'd rather not see her and catch what she has as I have exams on wednesday)

Based on how the infection affected her it should be at its peak on wednesday, conveniently the day of my emams, and so I'm not sure if I'll be able to go in. Already feeling weak, sick, dizzy etc.

Any advice from people who have been in the same situation? What about doctors notes?
Reply 1
Well, last week I had 7 exams, the only day I didn't have one was Tuesday. On Monday night I was took ill into hospital, like really ill, they told me I had gastroenteritis and I was in hospital till 7:30, ill alllll that week. Not fun. I just sat mine, didn't tell college, but you will probably get that extreme circumstance thing where they give you easier marks.
Reply 2
I'm currently coming down with chicken pox and my last exam is today. I've got a bit of a fever and some blisters are appearing on my torso, but i feel well enough to sit the exam. I'm just grateful it wasn't last week.
You'll probably get special consideration if you get a doctor's note.
I had glandular fever last year when I sat some ASs and some A2s and was really ill during a Government and Politics exam - left the room for half an hour etc. I thought I'd failed so got my doctor to write a note and sent it to the exam board but they wrote back before results were out saying I had done well enough not to be awarded extra marks - I was so annoyed, until I got my results and had an A with 100% in 2 units. I still have absolutely no idea how I managed it!
Does Hayfever count ?>

I have really bad hayfever and for my exams this year i have been sneezing and eyes watering and really itchy throughout!!

Could i get like better marks or something ?? LOL
Reply 6
NobodyReally
I had glandular fever last year when I sat some ASs and some A2s and was really ill during a Government and Politics exam - left the room for half an hour etc. I thought I'd failed so got my doctor to write a note and sent it to the exam board but they wrote back before results were out saying I had done well enough not to be awarded extra marks - I was so annoyed, until I got my results and had an A with 100% in 2 units. I still have absolutely no idea how I managed it!

lol sounds like a miracle.

I'm still feeling a bit crap but it hasn't got worse over the last few hours. Although a virus loves to disappear for a day and then come back in full action.
Reply 7
i was ill on tuesday (da whole ear ache, migraine, sore throat, watery eyes, not being able to sleep throughout the night and blocked nose and chest pains) but all of a sudden was 100% okay on thursday, i was sooo happy i proper thought it was gone then saturday came n it all came back only worse . I went t the doctors this morning and she said its going to probably be gone in about 6 days coz its a viral infection and she cant give me antibiotics. In 6 days its my chem a2 exam. im sooooo weak so i know exactly how your feeling sithius.

should i get a special note from the doctors? and if i do who should i give it to...the school or the exam boards?
At GCSE I was told by my GP that I had mumps, told my school and i was told not to come 2 my exams with me being contagious so i ended up missing Maths paper 2, science double award paper 2 and Media studies. Sent a doctors note to the exam boards and they gave me grades based on the papers that i had already sat, my coursework, my predicted grades and the performance of two students on the same level as me. I ended up with A* in maths, A*A* in science and a B in media which was basically all my predicted grades.

Two weeks later when i got my blood tests back they were clear for mumps so my GP just decided it was a different swollen gland. I was not happy with him.
Reply 9
Yeah I went though one 2 days ago. I have my exams and I had a horrible fever. I felt all tired and what with the added stress making me more weary, I had to literally drag my body out of bed to work:p:

:tee:
Reply 10
I'm ill at the moment and have sat my last 10 exams (Wednesday through to today) feeling like crap. It sucks but I don't think it's affected me too much... *fingers crossed*
VAI2007
Well, last week I had 7 exams, the only day I didn't have one was Tuesday. On Monday night I was took ill into hospital, like really ill, they told me I had gastroenteritis and I was in hospital till 7:30, ill alllll that week. Not fun. I just sat mine, didn't tell college, but you will probably get that extreme circumstance thing where they give you easier marks.

You managed to sit exams at college without the college noticing you had gastroenteritis? Were you wearing a nappy and a horsebag or something? :confused:
choclateeclaire
Does Hayfever count ?>

I have really bad hayfever and for my exams this year i have been sneezing and eyes watering and really itchy throughout!!

Could i get like better marks or something ?? LOL

You might do- ask your exams officer.
nelab2
should i get a special note from the doctors? and if i do who should i give it to...the school or the exam boards?

I think you give it to your exams officer and then they send it to the exam board, but they'll know what to do anyway, so get the doctor's note first and then talk to your exams officer.
parpirate
I ended up with A* in maths, A*A* in science and a B in media which was basically all my predicted grades.

Two weeks later when i got my blood tests back they were clear for mumps so my GP just decided it was a different swollen gland. I was not happy with him.

You got your predicted grades without even sitting some of your exams and you weren't happy?! What's wrong with you? :p:
i had a few months of worrying like, which i wudn't of had if i'd have sat the papers
I wouldn't expect too much in the terms of special consideration. You need to like break a bone or something stupid to get out of exams. I had to take my french oral while I had tonsillitis. I had a doctors note but the exam board didn't care. I wasn't happy cos that exam was hell for me.
Reply 17
Hi

I fell over right near College last Thursday and my arm blew up like a football. I had to go to hospital but they think it isn't fractured, although they've got to look at the X-rays again. Because I slid along the pavement I've got a kind of burn on it too and it hurts loads. Of course it has to be the writing arm. I managed to write my exam on Monday, with extra time and a rest in the middle, but I had my teeth gritted all the way through and had to be in a separate room. There are lots of factors that mean people can have allowances made if they're ill or suffer something traumatic as well as things like this - if you google exam allowances, there's a whole PDF on it.

Lys
parpirate
i had a few months of worrying like, which i wudn't of had if i'd have sat the papers

Oh yeah, didn't think of that. Still, a decent outcome in the end :smile:

Latest