The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Angus-Higgins
I made a really stupid mistake. I added on the £2000 on the Compound Interest question. :frown:

I was hoping for 100% as well.

I made a bad mistake in both exams now in Mathematics and it is annoying.

Angus Higgins

I got £348.310880 or something on that... I was worried about compound interest and revised it JUST before the exam, thank poop I did though, would've missed out on marks that I need ><;;
no real imagination was needed for this paper it was rather like painting by numbers.

It will have a high A* boundary which sucks for anyone who made silly mistakes as the cannot be distinguished from people who aren't as good at maths as them.

According to what you guy here have got I got none of those hard questiions wrong, i just hope i didn't mess up on the simply ones.
Reply 242
I logged on to tsr today thinking that there might be a thread on the maths, seeing as it is pretty early but its about 200-odd now!

I got the same answers as everyone around here and for the fractions one you definitely needed to put two answers as both worked when put back into the equation
Reply 243
PaulRus
oh damn, I put 0.2451 for the probability thing, which may lose me some marks I reckon seeing as I worked it all out in decimals, so that answer is probably susceptible to rounding error. I just did (0.57*0.57*0.43)+(0.43*0.43*0.57)

Paul

u wnt get marked down for that
u can give ur answer in decimal i remember seeing it on a mrk scheme.
Reply 244
The last question was either 15 or 12 sumit. I got to different answers depening on what you used as the angle either, (216/4).... or (360-216)/2 :s-smilie: whatever you put, I guess you get marks for working out :P. Paper was really too easy though :s-smilie:. We need lots of people who did bad to absolutely do terrible (lets pray).
Reply 245
The fractions one was nasty. How do u do it?
Reply 246
The fractions one with x=1

I think question was x/2x-3 + 4/x+1 = 1. I got X as one, but asked for an extra sheet of paper and did 2 sides of working, and got the answer as -1. How the hell do you get it as 1? I just used trial an error but never wrote my trial and error down. :s-smilie:
I got the answers 1 and 9 after using a whole side of an extra answer sheet (admittedly very large writing!)
But loads of people in my class used trial and improvement but only got one answer - so im thinking that they might lose quite a few marks cos they didnt use factorising or the equation ?
Reply 248
OK heres some answeres i remember, please tell me what you got/or if you got the same, thanks :smile:

i can remember these, they're not in the same order as one on paper

- ratio q - spilt into 8 parts so answer was 3 times 91 = 273volume one
- volume of cone = 209 cm cubed
- the mean from the table = 88.6 seconds
- algebraic fractions x = 3 or x = -1 [got this wrong i think]
- probability q = 36/49
- early speed q = 400km/h
- cosine rule q = 6.something cm
- the simliarity qs first part = 8cm, 2nd part = 6 cm
- tv pythagorous = 54 cm
- sequence one = 3n - 1
- trial and improvement, x = 3.2
- proportions part 1: f = 25x, part 2: x = sumit cm, part 3: s = 300 N [i think this is what i put]
- burger and bun one, 3 bun packs, 5 burger packs
- upper and lower bounds one, part c and d u did higher divided by lowest, and lowest divided by highesst
- interest one, u got 2348 pound or sumit like that, and took the original amount (2000) away to get 348.48 or something
- standard index form % i got 133.33% because it doubled at least i think so it wasn't 33.33% but 133.33%

thats all i remember
cant believe there was no circle theorems or translations
i didn't have a clue on the last question
Reply 249
I got 44/48 on the coursework and my teacher worked i out to be around 56% i needed to get an A* in the exam. I think that was going on average grade boundaries. Im glad my coursework is good and the exam wasnt too bad. Fingers crossed i did well- and the rest of you.

From the thread, i dont seem to have made too many mistakes- i did put 33% instead of 33.3% and i knowi have got the fraction question wrong. The others i found difficult though seem to be ok.:biggrin:

Im an actually so releaved. After the exam, i passed through my maths teachers class and he stopped me to ask how it was and his whole class was just sitting there looking and listening as i gave him an account on almost every question. My mates had to drg me away cus i wanted answers, he needed to teach and they wanted to get lunch early. Oh well. Tis thread has answered my questions.
Reply 250
Jsk
I got 44/48 on the coursework and my teacher worked i out to be around 56% i needed to get an A* in the exam. I think that was going on average grade boundaries. Im glad my coursework is good and the exam wasnt too bad. Fingers crossed i did well- and the rest of you.

From the thread, i dont seem to have made too many mistakes- i did put 33% instead of 33.3% and i knowi have got the fraction question wrong. The others i found difficult though seem to be ok.:biggrin:

Im an actually so releaved. After the exam, i passed through my maths teachers class and he stopped me to ask how it was and his whole class was just sitting there looking and listening as i gave him an account on almost every question. My mates had to drg me away cus i wanted answers, he needed to teach and they wanted to get lunch early. Oh well. Tis thread has answered my questions.

do you only need 56% based on last years if so cool cos i got 45/48 on my coursework :smile:
Reply 251
I dont have LaTeX so i wont write it out but the answers were 1 and 9 and for the last question (cone net) the height was 12cm, as you found the radius (9cm) and used pythagoras on the slant and the radius. You could also have found the area of the sector and used the equation for the curved surface area of a cone (pi*r*l) and again found the radius, then used pythagoras.
Reply 252
Madigan
What did everyone put for the question where you have to work out the mean of the 6 numbers? 2 numbers were 29 and eight were 41.

that was 45
8 x 41 =328
2 x 29 = 58

328 - 58 = 270

270/6 = 45
i did a question similar on a past paper
i found it quite easy. did it in just over an hour going at a casual pace (cause last time i rushed i made stupid errors that i shouldn't have made..)

i reks theres a real good chance i got full marks on it so im happy

well i am doing pure maths at uni :P hehe
Reply 254
- ratio q - spilt into 8 parts so answer was 3 times 91 = 273volume one- yep
- volume of cone = 209 cm cubed- yep
- the mean from the table = 88.6 seconds- i think i got that
- algebraic fractions x = 3 or x = -1 [got this wrong i think] i got 3 but i think i got it wrong
- probability q = 36/49 um mine wouldnt simplyfy
- early speed q = 400km/h no something else but cant remember what
- cosine rule q = 6.something cm - no- 5.sumfing
- the simliarity qs first part = 8cm, 2nd part = 6 cm yep
- tv pythagorous = 54 cm yep
- sequence one = 3n - 1 yep
- trial and improvement, x = 3.2 yep
- proportions part 1: f = 25x, part 2: x = sumit cm, part 3: s = 300 N [i think this is what i put] not sure
- burger and bun one, 3 bun packs, 5 burger packs- same
- upper and lower bounds one, part c and d u did higher divided by lowest, and lowest divided by highesst yep
- interest one, u got 2348 pound or sumit like that, and took the original amount (2000) away to get 348.48 or something yep
- standard index form % i got 133.33% because it doubled at least i think so it wasn't 33.33% but 133.33% i got 33% but i think its 33.3%

For the last i got 12 cm
Reply 255
I hate Maths coursework. First one I had supply teachers (my teacher had nervous break down) so I got a low B. The next one wasn't really to do with Maths, and my Maths teach is a Quantum (spelling) Physasis, so the basic maths like that he sux at. I got a medium A but he worked out on average my mark was a high B. I'm so annoyed as the exam bounderies are going to be so high.
- ratio q = 273
- algebraic fractions x = 9 or x = 1
- probability q = 36/49
- early speed q = 600km/h
- cosine rule q = 5. (cant remember)
- tv pythagorous = 54 cm
- sequence one = 3n - 1
- proportions: f = 25x
- burger and bun one, 3 bun 5 burger
- Compound interest 348.48 (approx)
- standard index form =33.3%

Im quite sure most of these are right if not all by the sounds of other peoples answers. Woo happiness
Reply 257
Salinger
OK heres some answeres i remember, please tell me what you got/or if you got the same, thanks :smile:

- algebraic fractions x = 3 or x = -1 [got this wrong i think]
- probability q = 36/49
- early speed q = 400km/h
- cosine rule q = 6.something cm
- tv pythagorous = 54 cm
- sequence one = 3n - 1
- proportions part 1: f = 25x, part 2: x = sumit cm, part 3: s = 300 N [i think this is what i put]
- burger and bun one, 3 bun packs, 5 burger packs
- upper and lower bounds one, part c and d u did higher divided by lowest, and lowest divided by highesst
- interest one, u got 2348 pound or sumit like that, and took the original amount (2000) away to get 348.48 or something
- standard index form % i got 133.33% because it doubled at least i think so it wasn't 33.33% but 133.33%

thats all i remember

Exactly 133.33% as I remembered aswell... but I didn't put it as a percentage.. I put the answer as a fraction I think... can't remember too well - but I remember it not being 33.33%... it was the difference between the 2 and it was itself and another 33.33% so that means 133.33%

The mean of each one i just did the middle number - 65 75 85 95.. wonder if that was the right thing to do xD
Salinger with edits

- volume of cone = 209 cm cubed:smile:
- the mean from the table = 88.6 seconds///86.6
- algebraic fractions x = 3 or x = -1 [got this wrong i think]///1 and 9
- probability q = 36/49:smile:
- early speed q = 400km/h //// 600 i believe
- cosine rule q = 6.something cm /// think so
- the simliarity qs first part = 8cm, 2nd part = 6 cm //there was a 20cm there somewhere
- tv pythagorous = 54 cm
- sequence one = 3n - 1:smile:
- trial and improvement, x = 3.2:smile: /// gotto love the casio natural display calculator
- proportions part 1: f = 25x, part 2: x = sumit cm, part 3: s = 300 N [i think this is what i put]/// think so
- burger and bun one, 3 bun packs, 5 burger packs /// yea
- upper and lower bounds one, part c and d u did higher divided by lowest, and lowest divided by highesst:smile:
- interest one, u got 2348 pound or sumit like that, and took the original amount (2000) away to get 348.48 or something:smile:
- standard index form % i got 133.33% because it doubled at least i think so it wasn't 33.33% but 133.33% /// 33.3 to 1d.p as it asked i believe

thats all i remember

Those are the changes i remember i'm quite sure there correct but who knows
Reply 259
The question was what was the increase in population. it was a 33.33 recurring % INCREASE! x 1. something means it is an increase.. :P If it was an increase of 133 % it would be double, + 33 % which it was not.

Latest