Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
For the mean question, it was like:

The mean number of 8 somethings is 41.
The mean number of 2 somethings is 29.
What is the mean of the other 6?

You multiply 8 by 41 to get 328.
You mutliply 2 by 29 to get 58.

You take the difference between 328 and 58 to get the actual amount of the other 6, which is 270.

You then divide 270 by 6 to get the mean of the 6 somethings which was 45.

So the answer is 45.:smile:
any signs of an electronic version of the paper? dont even know where to start looking. either of the edexcel ones would make me a happy bunny.

would get a spare out of school but dont have a scanner.
hbk91
If that's the case, I'm pretty sure you would have got an A*.

After evaluating my answers compared to everyone on TSR, I reckon I would have got 90/100 for Paper 5 and about 85/90 for Paper 6. I seriously don't think the grade boundaries will be ludicrously high. It'll be shocking if they are.

Phew, that's a relief, so I'm definetly in for an A at least then.

On a brighter note, I've just been accepted into NAGTY. The National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth. WOOOT.

Guess that means I'm gifted and talented then...:p:
Reply 403
hbk91
If that's the case, I'm pretty sure you would have got an A*.

After evaluating my answers compared to everyone on TSR, I reckon I would have got 90/100 for Paper 5 and about 85/90 for Paper 6. I seriously don't think the grade boundaries will be ludicrously high. It'll be shocking if they are.

I'm guessing you mean 85/100 for paper 6?

Hippysnake
Phew, that's a relief, so I'm definetly in for an A at least then.

On a brighter note, I've just been accepted into NAGTY. The National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth. WOOOT.

Guess that means I'm gifted and talented then...:p:

I've never understood what that is. :s-smilie: What purpose does it serve?
Time to go over some of these.

For the last question, there was a much simpler way of doing it. Basically, the new circle on the base is going to be mathematically similar by a ratio of (216/360) or 1 : 0.6

0.6*15 = 9

Looking at 9 and 15 and knowing pythagoras, you shouldn't even need a calculator. It's a 345 triangle. The answer, of course, was 12cm.

For the hidden quadratics question, the fractions simplified to x²-6x+9=0. You then factorise it to two numbers which add to make -6 and multiply to make +9. Looking at the question there was only one answer, which threw me before I got to that point. But the factorisation comes to (x-3)(x-3), so the only answer is that x=3.

For the straight line, it's a lot simpler than it looks. If you draw two arcs from A and B, the line that connects to where they touch will be of equal distance from A and B.

For the mean of the numbers question, let us turn the question into algebra.

a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h/8 = 41
a+b/2= 29

Get rid of the denominators:

a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h=328
a+b=58

Then do a simultaneous equation:

a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h-a-b=328-58

c+d+e+f+g+h=270

270/6 = 45

As for how I did, I knew the answer to ever single question, so providing my working out is correct, I might even be able to think of 100%.
The Quadratics questions was 1 and 9...wasn't it?
Reply 406
Hippysnake
The Quadratics questions was 1 and 9...wasn't it?

Yep.
Reply 407
What was the exact question for the fraction question?
I really want to try it again. Whatever that guy above said about it being 3 makes sence but so does the 1,9. i got it wrong if it was 1,9 but i sort of did a lot of working and guessed 3.
Princess
I'm guessing you mean 85/100 for paper 6?
Yup, it must have been that time of night lol! :redface:
What are the odds that the exam A* grade boundaries will be around 90 for both papers? Little I hope.
Reply 410
Hippysnake
What are the odds that the exam A* grade boundaries will be around 90 for both papers? Little I hope.

The grade boundaries may be a bit higher than usual, but I don't think they'll be around 90.
RobJonesxx
any signs of an electronic version of the paper? dont even know where to start looking. either of the edexcel ones would make me a happy bunny.

would get a spare out of school but dont have a scanner.

I would actually like to see it too. :p: But do you really think there is a copy of it anywhere?
Reply 412
The answers were 1 and 9 (not 3), putting the numbers back into the equation the equation equalled 1, so it is definitely 1 and 9. the question was:

x/(2x-3) + 4/(x+1) = 1
Reply 413
Say that the grade boundaries for the two papers was 80%, with a high B coursework how much would these boundaries rise by?
Reply 414
For an A probably not a lot, if any. for an A* i wouldnt think as much as 85%

What was your coursework mork though? If you were like 3 off of an A that would would be different
sonicandfffan
Time to go over some of these.

For the last question, there was a much simpler way of doing it. Basically, the new circle on the base is going to be mathematically similar by a ratio of (216/360) or 1 : 0.6

0.6*15 = 9

Looking at 9 and 15 and knowing pythagoras, you shouldn't even need a calculator. It's a 345 triangle. The answer, of course, was 12cm.

That's the way I did it. I knew straight away I had to use pythagoras but that it wouldn't work taking 15^2 from 15^2, so I multiplied one by 216/360 and got 9 and did pythagoras from there.

Latest