The Student Room Group

Importance of Charaters in Of Mice and Men

I am sitting my English literature gcse in a couple of weeks with WJEC and just wondered if anyone could help me with the importance of Lennie, George, Curley and Carlson in the novella as a whole?
Reply 1
Hi, well the importance of these characters depends on the context of the question. Though, overall Lennie is important as he shows attitudes to those who may not be mentally sound at the time. This also links to Curleys wife and the men on the ranch have a bad idea about her, as a well as expressing derogatory attitudes to her, she is female. This is emphasised as we never really know her name.

The importance of George is to show the importance of love and care which George has towards Lennie he shows a more modern take on mental health issues and realises the importance of love and care. This is also shown as he was the one to kill Lennie.

George also represents the American Dream and hope for the future showing how important the future is to theses men.

The importance of Curley is to show how alive fear is and power to individuals who believe they're in charge. This is as he openly mocks Lennie as well as attempting to intimidate other men, however he shows fear towards other men such as Carlson.

The importance of Carlson is to show what real average men at these ranches were like and the struggle they faced as they had such little choice in life.

I hope this helps did Of Mice and Men for GCSE last year and did quite well so this should help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending