The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you think 'gender fluid' is "real"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
Yes, I was born straight.

Lmao prove it. You can't can you? Because it's ridiculous. If you understand the psychology of sexuality you'd understand how asinine the theory of being born any sexuality is.

Anyway.
Who cares if it's real or not?? Is it affecting your life in any way?

It's so f****** pathetic for people to question this when they clearly aren't gender fluid, I'm not but I still believe people who say they are! Gender fluid people have to live their life with narrow minded people classifying being gender fluid as "fake" and "for attention".

It's this age old question and statement of "is x real? I mean I've never experienced it and my best friend hasn't either, so it can't be! Typical leftie loony idiots !!!!1!!!"

Next you'll be asking if being gay is real because you're not and you can't imagine yourself being gay.. grow up for god's sake.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I don't have the slightest clue, but if people being themselves makes them happier and doesn't cause you harm then let them get on with it. Sociologists, psychologists and mental health professionals are almost certainly researching this phenomena, as such I'm going to reserve judgement until we have some solid gender fluidity theories. Besides how likely is it that any of us will meet a gender fluid individual? Most of us have never even met a transgender person, let alone anyone who identifies with tumblr labels.

Hahaha.
Original post by 0to100
Well it's real but is it logical?

Well, it's a mental illness. If you're asking "is it natural", then no. I don't see what logic's got to do with it.
Reply 44
Gender is the state of being male or female, and you can't change your sex. (Unless you chop your sexual organs off and rewire your whole brain).
I do think it's real.

A real mental disorder.
Reply 46
It's my belief that all humans with XY chromosomes should be considered men, and all those with XX chromosomes should be referred to as women.
I believe this to be a perfectly sane belief judging by what has been the norm throughout previous history, and I will therefore use male pronouns for males, and female pronouns for females.
Although you can legally change your gender, you can't swap out your chromosomes, so in my mind as a perfectly sane average person, you can't change your sex, as that's biologically impossible. So if you request me to use different pronouns from my definition of normal, then I shall decline. If you insist, I'll tell you to kindly f*ck off whilst my internal monologue questions why you're not getting the psychiatric help you clearly need.

This applies to the entire transgender community, now please stop bothering normal people with your out of the norm issues.
Original post by Joel 96
Well, it's a mental illness. If you're asking "is it natural", then no. I don't see what logic's got to do with it.

Because that's what OP is on about?
And ok you think it's a mental illness then say you don't know why I mentioned logic lol
Original post by Wellzi
It's my belief that all humans with XY chromosomes should be considered men, and all those with XX chromosomes should be referred to as women.
I believe this to be a perfectly sane belief judging by what has been the norm throughout previous history, and I will therefore use male pronouns for males, and female pronouns for females.
Although you can legally change your gender, you can't swap out your chromosomes, so in my mind as a perfectly sane average person, you can't change your sex, as that's biologically impossible. So if you request me to use different pronouns from my definition of normal, then I shall decline. If you insist, I'll tell you to kindly f*ck off whilst my internal monologue questions why you're not getting the psychiatric help you clearly need.

This applies to the entire transgender community, now please stop bothering normal people with your out of the norm issues.

Agreed you can't change your sex but these days people will correct you, matter of factly erect their liberal fingers and say ahem:
"sex is the physical anatomy"
"gender is the identity"

And apparently all of this is anything goes smh.
Original post by Wellzi

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Original post by 0to100
Because that's what OP is on about?
And ok you think it's a mental illness then say you don't know why I mentioned logic lol

Asking if a mental illness is logical is illogical.
Original post by JohnGreek
I sexually identify as mayonnaise

Come at me bro

You filthy little dairy product.
Of course its real. Its how my daddy made me with my mum
Original post by 0to100
I never asked if mental illness is illogical...? Why're you intentionally misconstruing **** because you sounded like an ape beforehand?

You asked if gender fluidity is logical. "Well it's real but is it logical?". I fail to see how I'm intentionally misconstruing your words. Logic was never even mentioned in the first post, so I don't know why it's even a question. It just seems illogical to me to ask if a mental illness is a proper way of thinking.
Original post by fatima1998
what the heck is gender fluid :colone:
learning new terms these days :colonhash:

I only really found out about it properly today
Reply 55
Original post by 0to100
Lmao prove it. You can't can you? Because it's ridiculous. If you understand the psychology of sexuality you'd understand how asinine the theory of being born any sexuality is.

Anyway.

It's impossible to "prove" your sexuality on a forum. You know that I can't do that.

However, the current state of science mostly follows the theory that sexuality is decided in utero.
http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/262525
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21094885

If you want to contest this theory, you're free to write in a peer-review journal.
Original post by Josb
It's impossible to "prove" your sexuality on a forum. You know that I can't do that.

However, the current state of science mostly follows the theory that sexuality is decided in utero.
http://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/262525
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21094885

If you want to contest this theory, you're free to write in a peer-review journal.

You can post credible links to an academic science website claiming that people are born straight

And anyway sexuality is psychologically more than anything else, summarise the links, don't just conveniently post what you think suffices with a quick glance; brief me so I don't waste my time
I don't know if gender fluidity is "real" although I would say yes in terms of people do identify as this but in reality I just don't care because it doesn't affect me in any way if someone feels like that or wants to label themselves in that way. It is a lot less hassle for me to just use he/she etc as people ask me to than for me to ignore someones feelings and probably cause a lot of upset for them. I can't say I understand it as such, but I will accept people feel that this label is right for them.
Original post by monkcatcher
I get what you're saying BUT, you can't actually just switch from being male to female when you choose

I think it boils down to being male or female but feeling like the opposite sex at certain points.

I too don't think you can go from one to the other.
Original post by monkcatcher
I only really found out about it properly today

Did you know about agender? and 'gender neutral'?

There's a whole world of crazy out there mate :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending