The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Bsc Economics conditions

My economics teacher and I have had a falling out as he is on the edge of being fired due to his bad teaching and I've had to drop out of his lectures as it was driving me insane as I was doing past papers and doing poorly whilst he told me I was doing really well and refused to give me and feedback and when I was being taught he spent all his time telling us to read a textbook and then discussing what we had read. When we did this we rarely had an idea of what was going on as the book was shallow and the teacher would be very condescending to us saying we weren't paying attention, when it clearly wasn't our fault.

After this I've decided to teach myself Economics to fulfil my offer for Bsc Economics as LSE, which is an A in economics, using online resources and libraries. However, even though I'm learning a great deal more, I've been experiencing major sleeping problems, day time drowsiness and stress (to the level where i've been getting ulcers and panic attacks) and I've been to my GP about it and he has been running blood tests and been giving me sleeping tablets to try and help me. which all add to the fact that even though I'm fighting to get an A I feel like i cant get it :/ is there anyone out there who can help me try and get some form of consideration from LSE for what I'm going through?? :frown:
If you are really that passionate about Economics that you have the passion and evident ability to get an offer for it from LSE you should probably find the A level fairly easy.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
If you are really that passionate about Economics that you have the passion and evident ability to get an offer for it from LSE you should probably find the A level fairly easy.

I hear what you're saying, and I don't know if you've done the OCR spec for economics, but I feel like i know all of the topics really well as they aren't complex, yet i don't do well on past papers! My exam technique is so shocking that i cant seem to access the high grades, the mark schemes extremely adamant on capping people at certain marks if they don't do certain things and so even though my discussions are at the required level, i don't get the marks. This is where having a teacher would've really helped me.

Also I'm in a genuinely bad position and I'm trying as hard as I can so saying I should find it easy when I'm not, isn't very helpful dude.
Original post by skyaviator23
My economics teacher and I have had a falling out as he is on the edge of being fired due to his bad teaching and I've had to drop out of his lectures as it was driving me insane as I was doing past papers and doing poorly whilst he told me I was doing really well and refused to give me and feedback and when I was being taught he spent all his time telling us to read a textbook and then discussing what we had read. When we did this we rarely had an idea of what was going on as the book was shallow and the teacher would be very condescending to us saying we weren't paying attention, when it clearly wasn't our fault.

After this I've decided to teach myself Economics to fulfil my offer for Bsc Economics as LSE, which is an A in economics, using online resources and libraries. However, even though I'm learning a great deal more, I've been experiencing major sleeping problems, day time drowsiness and stress (to the level where i've been getting ulcers and panic attacks) and I've been to my GP about it and he has been running blood tests and been giving me sleeping tablets to try and help me. which all add to the fact that even though I'm fighting to get an A I feel like i cant get it :/ is there anyone out there who can help me try and get some form of consideration from LSE for what I'm going through?? :frown:

Hey, I'm currently a second year econ student at lse and also had a **** time due to stress and sleep deprivation during A level exams (and now to an extent for uni exams now).
If I'm honest with you, and I hate to say it, but I highly doubt lse will give a **** either way. They give zero ****s about the wellbeing of their own students (we came BOTTOM out of EVERY uni in the uk for student satisfaction and have had a few big cases of students with mental disability being unfairly treated by administration in the past few months) so I doubt they'll give a **** about extenuating circumstances of prospective students either.
The only advice I can give is just try your best, that's all you can do! Exams are a really shitty time for loads of students who struggle to deal with stress (myself included), but it often makes us do better because we care so much. I went into my A levels knowing that all I could do is try my hardest and if I didn't get the grades then it just wasn't meant to be. Fortunately, thanks to all the hard work it paid off for me, and I'm sure it will for you too! (One huge tip for econ exams for a level is read the mark schemes and exemplar work online to understand what you get marks for in the exam, that's one of the major changes I made in A2 and went from a B to A*!)
Original post by leinad2012
Hey, I'm currently a second year econ student at lse and also had a **** time due to stress and sleep deprivation during A level exams (and now to an extent for uni exams now).
If I'm honest with you, and I hate to say it, but I highly doubt lse will give a **** either way. They give zero ****s about the wellbeing of their own students (we came BOTTOM out of EVERY uni in the uk for student satisfaction and have had a few big cases of students with mental disability being unfairly treated by administration in the past few months) so I doubt they'll give a **** about extenuating circumstances of prospective students either.
The only advice I can give is just try your best, that's all you can do! Exams are a really shitty time for loads of students who struggle to deal with stress (myself included), but it often makes us do better because we care so much. I went into my A levels knowing that all I could do is try my hardest and if I didn't get the grades then it just wasn't meant to be. Fortunately, thanks to all the hard work it paid off for me, and I'm sure it will for you too! (One huge tip for econ exams for a level is read the mark schemes and exemplar work online to understand what you get marks for in the exam, that's one of the major changes I made in A2 and went from a B to A*!)

Ahh brilliant, i guess I know what I'm getting myself into at least... I'll give it a shot and see what they say cause it would really help knowing what they are going to do either way!

Also i cant seem to find much exemplar work for OCR economics A Level online, which is kinda annoying cause whatever i have found has been really really thin! I got 88 UMS average in my first year and need to get 72 this year to get an A, yet i am still really really worried cause its been so downhill recently! Hopefully all my hard work will lead to a miracle come August and i end up with an A! Thanks for your words of wisdom anyway, much appreciated :smile:
Ahh brilliant, i guess I know what I'm getting myself into at least... I'll give it a shot and see what they say cause it would really help knowing what they are going to do either way!

Also i cant seem to find much exemplar work for OCR economics A Level online, which is kinda annoying cause whatever i have found has been really really thin! I got 88 UMS average in my first year and need to get 72 this year to get an A, yet i am still really really worried cause its been so downhill recently! Hopefully all my hard work will lead to a miracle come August and i end up with an A! Thanks for your words of wisdom anyway, much appreciated :smile:

I can't really help with your original problem sorry, but the questions for the global paper are pretty predictable and it's always possible to write decent answers for these now and revise from them to cut down on time a little bit :smile:
Original post by tinkerbella~
I can't really help with your original problem sorry, but the questions for the global paper are pretty predictable and it's always possible to write decent answers for these now and revise from them to cut down on time a little bit :smile:

Already a head of you there, got econplusdals model answers so hopefully i'll be able to use that to get a high mark in the F585 paper! thanks for your input though :smile:
I hear what you're saying, and I don't know if you've done the OCR spec for economics, but I feel like i know all of the topics really well as they aren't complex, yet i don't do well on past papers! My exam technique is so shocking that i cant seem to access the high grades, the mark schemes extremely adamant on capping people at certain marks if they don't do certain things and so even though my discussions are at the required level, i don't get the marks. This is where having a teacher would've really helped me.

Also I'm in a genuinely bad position and I'm trying as hard as I can so saying I should find it easy when I'm not, isn't very helpful dude.

Sorry if I seemed a little harsh. Yeah, when you first start doing past papers, the exam technique needs a bit of work and it is the most important part of some exams. There can be downsides to self-teaching but you can go at your own pace and cover the topics you want, which is good.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending