The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City or SOAS for Law??

Hi, guys!
Ok, so both aren't stellar institutions but I slacked off in college and now have come to terms with going to City or SOAS for the first year of my LLB.
I know City has risen within the law league tables over the years and I admire that they prioritize employability. On the other hand, SOAS is a University of London school and may have a higher prestige standing with employers (?), provide a unique (I use that word with some apprehension) learning experience, and ease the process of transferring to a better Uni. of London school. I've heard horror stories about SOAS and how faculty don't take their job seriously/provide an esoteric curriculum with little, valuable application, and how students are left with little more than debt and a useless piece of paper. Now, I don't want to bash on liberal arts and, on the contrary, hold more free thinking institutions in high esteem for promoting a way of thinking that can seldom be found elsewhere. None the less, I don't want to pay £27000 to learn to think freely. I want to be employed by a high end law firm and have a steady, well-paying career. Where do I have better chances of this happening?

Additionally, what do you guys think about transferring universities for law? I know it's not very common in the UK and quite difficult for LLB. Would a school like UCL accept me if I completed my first year at City or SOAS with top marks? Or perhaps a lower ranking school like QMUL?
I appreciate you guys taking the time to read&respond to this and I hope my inquiry doesn't come off as crude for stressing employment so much! Just keepin' it real(pls don't shoot me)...
Original post by alexandradoeslaw
Hi, guys!
Ok, so both aren't stellar institutions but I slacked off in college and now have come to terms with going to City or SOAS for the first year of my LLB.
I know City has risen within the law league tables over the years and I admire that they prioritize employability. On the other hand, SOAS is a University of London school and may have a higher prestige standing with employers (?), provide a unique (I use that word with some apprehension) learning experience, and ease the process of transferring to a better Uni. of London school. I've heard horror stories about SOAS and how faculty don't take their job seriously/provide an esoteric curriculum with little, valuable application, and how students are left with little more than debt and a useless piece of paper. Now, I don't want to bash on liberal arts and, on the contrary, hold more free thinking institutions in high esteem for promoting a way of thinking that can seldom be found elsewhere. None the less, I don't want to pay £27000 to learn to think freely. I want to be employed by a high end law firm and have a steady, well-paying career. Where do I have better chances of this happening?

Additionally, what do you guys think about transferring universities for law? I know it's not very common in the UK and quite difficult for LLB. Would a school like UCL accept me if I completed my first year at City or SOAS with top marks? Or perhaps a lower ranking school like QMUL?
I appreciate you guys taking the time to read&respond to this and I hope my inquiry doesn't come off as crude for stressing employment so much! Just keepin' it real(pls don't shoot me)...

If you're an International student and finish your first year with very high marks i.e > 65% you can actually apply to a school like LSE or Kings College for LAW and get in for first year re-entry
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Original post by Truthteller10
If you're an International student and finish your first year with very high marks i.e > 65% you can actually apply to a school like LSE or Kings College for LAW and get in for first year re-entry

That's the plan.
bump bump bump
That's the plan.

Go 4 it then
Reply 5
Hi, guys!

City University is joining the University of London in August 2016.
Original post by rbgpwer
City University is joining the University of London in August 2016.

I heard about that! Between the two, which do you think I should firm (considering the possibility of not being able to transfer too)?
Reply 7
I heard about that! Between the two, which do you think I should firm (considering the possibility of not being able to transfer too)?

Both are good - SOAS has a longer long standing reputation but City too, and joining the UoL will don't make such difference in term of respectability. I would focus my choice on the curriculum, SOAS has a great choice of modules related to overseas law (middle east, asian, etc...), City focuses on employability with great events. If you're interested in international law and specific-country law choose SOAS

Quick Reply

Latest