Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Having some issues getting up at 4am - should try a different sleep schedule?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hey people of TSR,

I have for a good few weeks now been getting up at 4am, a few times 5am, and one or twice when I slept in about 6:30am. I love being productive, so getting up so early is really appealing to me and I have found that once I have had a cold shower, breakfast and so on, that I can be very productive in the morning and get a lot of revision done.

The problem comes roughly after 12 in the morning at school. I start feeling tired, less able to focus, sleepier and so on. Usually at a weekend I would have a cold shower to get rid of that drowsiness but at school I have no options available. Even though I am getting a considerable amount of sleep (went to bed at 8:30pm yesterday and woke up at 4am, which is when I am typing this) this tiredness seems to come over me most days. Strangely not last weekend, but many other days. By 4:30pm today I was struggling to stay awake in front of this teacher whom I was having a talk with after school.

Like many of you I have AS exams in a few weeks and would like to find a sleep schedule that allows me to be productive, focussed and wake up feeling refreshed and not groggy. I am not sure if getting up that early is doing any harm to my body or messing up my circadian rhythm. I am not an evening person, no matter what by the time it reaches 5pm onwards (maybe 6pm) I am already exhausted from sixth form and my studying is not that productive.

I am clearly very confused and uncertain here folks. Any advice would be appreciated, as well as any sleep strategies you implement yourselves.

maybe try vitamin tablets? dont think you should be tired by 12

since last week ive been waking up at 12am every day, and i only get tired by about 4/5pm

I haven't gone to sleep yet

It's when you start changing your patterns that you start feeling groggy. REM sleep normally happens in cycles if 3 hours so try to keep your sleep to around 6-9 hours. When you wake up in the middle if a REM sleep that's when you're going to get groggy. Try going to bed around 10 so summer sunset. That's when your melatonin starts kicking in, we're hard wired to sleep when the lights go out. Avoid using your phone because blue light decreases melatonin levels and makes you stay awake longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use to get up at 3/4 in the morning to try and revise but it was soo hard because my brain is literally dead at that time... I can't concentrate and i would begin to feel tired at school as well. I think the best thing to do is not to go to sleep and then get up, just stay up until 1 or 2 it honestly is not that hard + you wont feel dead Ive began doing that and i am soo much more productive and focused tbh
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.