The Student Room Group

CS master conversion course personal statement

I'm planning to take a computer science conversion course but I'm struggling what to include in the personal statement. I don't have much past experience in this field so there isn't too much to include about that.
Original post by booja
I'm planning to take a computer science conversion course but I'm struggling what to include in the personal statement. I don't have much past experience in this field so there isn't too much to include about that.

Hey,

I need a little bit more information before I can provide a full response.

What was your first degree in? It would be good to show transferable skills that you can bring to CompSci from your first degree.

If you don't have much past experience in this field, then how do you know it's the right thing for you or that you have the aptitude to do well? It maybe worth learning one or more programming languages to really make sure it's what you want to do, as well gaining some experience to demonstrate your aptitude on the PS. You can learn to code at codeacademy.

Where are you thinking about applying to for your MSc in CompSci?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
hey

my first degree was biochem and I am looking at applying to Bristol Kent and Newcaste.

I have done the HTML course and am currently using a book to learn java
The UCL website always has some great tips:

why you want to study Computer Science at graduate level?

why you want to study Computer Science at (insert uni)?

what particularly attracts you to this programme?

how your academic (and/or mathematic) and professional background meets the demands of this programme?

what programming experience you have?

where you would like to go professionally with your degree?

If your personal statement answers satisfactorily all the above questions, then you should have trouble making your PS fit onto one page.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending